Sunday, March 25, 2007

Oh, Ducks!

Woe is me. The Oregon Ducks lost their game today in the NCAA basketball tournament. I don't watch much basketball as a general rule, but I was cheering as loudly as anyone for the Ducks today. They were so close to winning - it was just heartbreaking!

After watching that devastating loss, Sydney and I pulled weeds in the garden and planted peas and mesclun (i.e. fancy salad greens) while Bill took the giant clippers to the enormous butterfly bush in our front yard that is being sacrificed in order to make room for our new Charlotte Peach tree.

I also found a great new blog in the past few days - EnviroMom. It's geared towards families in Portland, but plenty of the things they post about would be relevant anywhere. I'm currently in talks with them about doing a little series on our chickens (who will be arriving in a couple of days - I'm so excited!). I'll be talking about the chickens regardless, it's just a question of where!

And now I'm off to blow my nose for a couple more hours without having any effect on my actual ability to breathe. It's amazing how much gunk the human head can produce! My little EnviroMom tip - those cheap Gerber diapers that you can get a Target (not the tri-fold ones, the other ones that are like a big dustcloth) make awesome handkerchiefs. Most of the nice white tissue you get in the store is made from virgin forest. Same with toilet paper. Yes, they cut down virgin forest to make tp! I can wash a few diapers or wipe with a little bit less-cushy recycled tp so that my kids can have clean air and virgin forest left when they're grown up. Who knew someone could get all fired up about toilet paper?

4 Comments:

Blogger Laura said...

What amazes me is the amount of gunk small human heads can produce. :)

6:27 AM  
Blogger msubulldog said...

None of the 3 TN teams made the Final Four, either. *sigh*

9:02 AM  
Blogger Yarnhog said...

I'm totally with you on the head gunk. A tip: I know it sounds awful, so awful in fact that it took me years to get around to trying it, but, if you have (or go buy) a water pic and a little attachment called a "nasal irrigator tip", you can completely wash out all that gunk in about one minute. You put a teaspoon full of salt in the water reservoir and fill it with lukewarm water. Put the tip (shaped like a little rubber cone) against one nostril and TURN ON THE WATER PIC. No, I'm not kidding. You won't drown and it doesn't hurt. Just remember to breathe through your mouth and lean over the sink while you do it. The water will squirt up into your sinuses, swirl around, and come out your other nostril, bringing...well, you'll see what comes out with it. After half the water is used, switch nostrils. I repeat: IT DOES NOT HURT and YOU WILL NOT DROWN. I watched my husband do this with absolute horror for years. Then, one day, in the throes of the worst sinus infection imaginable, I finally tried it. It was a miracle. I now use this method any time I have a cold or sinus infection, and even my kids (ages 7 and 9) do it without any trouble. Try it!

10:37 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I am bitter. My cougs lost so I don't want any pac 10 teams going ;)

7:27 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home