Thursday, March 15, 2007

Wha?

Okay, I was all set to do my quarterly political rant today (you know I just can't resist getting that out of my system every few months or so), since it's the 5-year anniversary of the start of the Iraq War. However, I got sidetracked when I learned that Eunny Jang was just named editor of Interweave Knits! Of course, the designer lists are all abuzz because Eunny's like 12 (no, really, she's 23 - but still!) and sort of a newbie in the industry. When I first read the announcement, I couldn't quite process it. And I'll be sad not to hear Pam Allen's lovely accent over the phone when she accepts another of my designs (yes, I know this has only happened twice, but hey - dream big, right?). But wow! I am insane with jealousy but self-aware enough to realize that editorship of Knits is probably never in my future (and I'm fine with that). It will be so interesting to see where she takes the magazine.

It makes me even more excited that I'm going to be meeting her on the Sea Socks cruise next month. I'm going to be able to deduct that trip as a business expense pretty soon, there will be so much networking going on! If there's any 23-year-old who can handle Knits, it's Eunny.

As for the war, well...I'm going to spend some time today praying for the families of everyone affected by that disgrace of a debacle. I think about this a lot, but today especially - what a different world we'd be living in if Al Gore had taken the election in 2000. The Iraq war never would've happened, and so many US servicemen & women (and Iraqi civilians) would still be alive and with their families. Yes, Saddam would probably still be in power, but it's hard to believe the Iraqi people are better off today. As one Iraqi citizen I heard interviewed explained, "Back then we had one Saddam. Today we have one hundred." So many dollars and lives wasted on this war (and when I say wasted, I do NOT at all discount the sacrifices of our troops, who are doing their jobs as best they can - particularly the National Guard troops who never signed up to fight a civil war in another country). It's a disgrace to this country and seriously calls into question our position in the world as the moral authority. I don't think that the current government, with scandal after scandal, can be called a moral authority on anything. They should be ashamed of themselves for representing themselves as the "moral" party and then behaving like criminals after countless people voted for them, expecting them to run this country with dignity and a higher moral standard. Hah!

Okay, I'm done. Thanks for letting me get that off my chest! I need a chocolate chip cookie.

9 Comments:

Blogger Carry said...

Well said. I'm thankful that my sister is back (currently at least) but it doesn't lessen my pain at the thought of the people who do still have family over there. My sister's fiance is still over there. He's not due home until August now since he was extended. He was supposed to be home in time for the birth of his son...

Stupid war. Stupid, stupid, stupid...

1:54 PM  
Blogger Berlinswhimsy said...

Oh, I'm glad another blogger is out there that rants from time to time (I'll have my own tomorrow--he, he) and I couldn't agree more with you. It feels so frustrating and I do find myself sometimes just ignoring it because I don't want to think about it. And I know that's not the answer, either.

2:35 PM  
Blogger nbgriz said...

Oh, Chrissy, I'm totally with you on this one. What a shameful waste. And this administration seems to have one incompetent scandal after another. Where will it end? Regime change begins at home, so don't forget to vote! Pass it on.

4:59 PM  
Blogger Connie said...

Go on ranting. I enjoy hearing your opinions. It's brave to put out potentially controversial editorials like this, yet they make blogs much more interesting...Yes, I sometimes wonder what the world would be like if Al Gore had become president instead. It makes me angry sometimes that that election was so sketchy, yet nothing was done at the time to sort everything out.

9:35 PM  
Blogger msubulldog said...

I, for one, was excited to read about Eunny's new position, but I had no idea she was 23--geez, what have I done with my life? *grin*

1:52 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I must say I very much agree with you on many of your points and can totally appreciate your desire to rant about them.

I am here to offer you a virtual choc chip cookie and if you like you may take two that was alot of rant.

Your Secret Pal

12:43 AM  
Blogger Yarnhog said...

I totally agree with you. I also applaud your courage to speak out. I live in a painfully right-wing neighborhood, where every effort to speak the truth is met with anger and outrage. I feel like Cassandra (of the Greek tragedy), doomed to forever know the future and never be believed. It's small comfort that all of my doomsday predictions for the past seven years have come true. I will never, never, never understand how people can believe that speaking out against an illegal, immoral war that is killing good men and women is somehow unpatriotic. I support our troops completely, and I want to see them home, alive and well.

11:16 AM  
Blogger Diane said...

I have shoes older than Eunny.

8:11 AM  
Blogger Knitty_Prof said...

Stupid and dishonest war! I agree with you. And, Al Gore DID take the election - again dishonesty and deceit upturned all those votes. I feel so bad for all the lives that have been given by our brave men and women, and all the lives that are forever changed for those who are disabled because of this war.

12:56 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home