Saturday, March 10, 2007

It's 5 am - why am I here?

I'm sick. I'm coughing like Typhoid Mary and have been up since 2:30. I had to come downstairs to avoid waking everyone up, and here I am still. I should probably try to get some sleep since the cough medicine seems to have kicked in, but I figure now I'll go upstairs, lie down, and it will wear off and I'll have to come back down again anyway.

In the meantime, I've been doing some useful web-surfing. I read all about shin splints and compartment syndrome (and decided that I really DO need to reschedule that doctor's appointment that I missed because of that disastrous incident with the car). I decided that we're getting one of these for our chickens - isn't that the coolest thing ever? And it looks pretty idiot-proof (which we've decided is a must if our little egg-layers are going to survive). I also found this meme over at Karen's blog. Since I seem to have loads of spare time this morning, here it is:

Look at the list of books below:
* Bold the ones you’ve read,
* Italicize the ones you want to read
* Leave blank the ones that you aren’t interested in.

1. The DaVinci Code (Dan Brown)
2. Pride and Prejudice (Jane Austen)
3. To Kill A Mockingbird (Harper Lee)
4. Gone With The Wind (Margaret Mitchell)
5. The Lord of the Rings: Return of the King (Tolkien)
6. The Lord of the Rings: Fellowship of the Ring (Tolkien)
7. The Lord of the Rings: Two Towers (Tolkien)
8. Anne of Green Gables (L.M. Montgomery)
9. Outlander (Diana Gabaldon)
10. A Fine Balance (Rohinton Mistry)
11. Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire (Rowling)
12. Angels and Demons (Dan Brown)
13. Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix (Rowling)
14. A Prayer for Owen Meany (John Irving)
15. Memoirs of a Geisha (Arthur Golden)
16. Harry Potter and the Philosopher’s Stone (Rowling)
17. Fall on Your Knees (Ann-Marie MacDonald)
18. The Stand (Stephen King)
19. Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban (Rowling)
20. Jane Eyre (Charlotte Bronte)
21. The Hobbit (Tolkien)
22. The Catcher in the Rye (J.D. Salinger)
23. Little Women (Louisa May Alcott)
24. The Lovely Bones (Alice Sebold)
25. Life of Pi (Yann Martel)
26. The Hitchhiker’s Guide to the Galaxy (Douglas Adams)
27. Wuthering Heights (Emily Bronte)
28. The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe (C. S. Lewis)
29. East of Eden (John Steinbeck)
30. Tuesdays with Morrie (Mitch Albom)
31. Dune (Frank Herbert)
32. The Notebook (Nicholas Sparks)
33. Atlas Shrugged (Ayn Rand)
34. 1984 (Orwell)
35. The Mists of Avalon (Marion Zimmer Bradley)
36. The Pillars of the Earth (Ken Follett)
37. The Power of One (Bryce Courtenay)
38. I Know This Much is True (Wally Lamb)
39. The Red Tent (Anita Diamant)
40. The Alchemist (Paulo Coelho)
41. The Clan of the Cave Bear (Jean M. Auel)
42. The Kite Runner (Khaled Hosseini)
43. Confessions of a Shopaholic (Sophie Kinsella)
44. The Five People You Meet In Heaven (Mitch Albom)
45. The Bible (although I will admit, I probably haven't read every single word, cover-to-cover style)
46. Anna Karenina (Tolstoy)
47. The Count of Monte Cristo (Alexandre Dumas)
48. Angela’s Ashes (Frank McCourt)
49. The Grapes of Wrath (John Steinbeck)
50. She’s Come Undone (Wally Lamb)
51. The Poisonwood Bible (Barbara Kingsolver)
52. A Tale of Two Cities (Dickens)
53. Ender’s Game (Orson Scott Card)
54. Great Expectations (Dickens)
55. The Great Gatsby (Fitzgerald)
56. The Stone Angel (Margaret Laurence)
57. Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets (Rowling)
58. The Thorn Birds (Colleen McCullough)
59. The Handmaid’s Tale (Margaret Atwood)
60. The Time Traveller’s Wife (Audrew Niffenegger)
61. Crime and Punishment (Fyodor Dostoyevsky)
62. The Fountainhead (Ayn Rand)
63. War and Peace (Tolstoy)
64. Interview With The Vampire (Anne Rice)
65. Fifth Business (Robertson Davis)
66. One Hundred Years Of Solitude (Gabriel Garcia Marquez)
67. The Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants (Ann Brashares)
68. Catch-22 (Joseph Heller)
69. Les Miserables (Hugo)
70. The Little Prince (Antoine de Saint-Exupery)
71. Bridget Jones’ Diary (Fielding)
72. Love in the Time of Cholera (Marquez)
73. Shogun (James Clavell)
74. The English Patient (Michael Ondaatje)
75. The Secret Garden (Frances Hodgson Burnett)
76. The Summer Tree (Guy Gavriel Kay)
77. A Tree Grows in Brooklyn (Betty Smith)
78. The World According to Garp (John Irving)
79. The Diviners (Margaret Laurence)
80. Charlotte's Web (E.B. White)
81. Not Wanted On The Voyage (Timothy Findley)
82. Of Mice And Men (Steinbeck)
83. Rebecca (Daphne DuMaurier)
84. Wizard’s First Rule (Terry Goodkind)
85. Emma (Jane Austen)
86. Watership Down(Richard Adams)
87. Brave New World (Aldous Huxley)
88. The Stone Diaries (Carol Shields)
89. Blindness (Jose Saramago)
90. Kane and Abel (Jeffrey Archer)
91. In The Skin Of A Lion (Ondaatje)
92. Lord of the Flies (Golding)
93. The Good Earth (Pearl S. Buck)
94. The Secret Life of Bees (Sue Monk Kidd)
95. The Bourne Identity (Robert Ludlum)
96. The Outsiders (S.E. Hinton)
97. White Oleander (Janet Fitch)
98. A Woman of Substance (Barbara Taylor Bradford)
99. The Celestine Prophecy (James Redfield)
100. Ulysses (James Joyce)

There are also several on the list that I've seen in movie form (the Harry Potter movies, White Oleander, The Outsiders, The Bourne Identity, The World According to Garp, Emma & Of Mice & Men, to name a few), but I didn't count them. Is 36 out of 100 a good score? I was happy to see several of my all-time favorites included on this list, like The Good Earth, 100 Years of Solitude and The Power of One. I also have a soft spot for anything by Wally Lamb.

Makes me wish I had more time to read amongst all this knitting!

9 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

That is a really good meme, I think I will do too!
Hope you are feeling better soon, coughing if NO fun.

7:33 AM  
Blogger msubulldog said...

An eglu! Ha! :) That's awesome. :) I am purposely avoiding that meme because it would just add to my ever-growing list of things to read! Hope you feel better soon and get some time to rest today.

8:21 AM  
Blogger Acornbud said...

I hope you feel better soon. No fun being sick. But it did allow you to discover the eglu. Thanks for sharing! I don't even have rabbits or chickens, but now I want some:)

9:15 AM  
Blogger LavenderSheep said...

I hope you feel better.

The only thing I thought was funny about the eglu is the beautiful manicured lawn that it was sitting on. Chickens will eat everything green in sight that they can get ahold of. That nice green patch would be a nice dirt patch fairly shortly.

10:18 AM  
Blogger jillian said...

Oh no...feel better soon!

10:28 AM  
Blogger Brittney Corrigan said...

You're not interested in reading The Red Tent? It's one of my favorite books of all time. I'll loan it to you if you ever change your mind! :)

Ditto on the manicured lawn! Our chickens turned their coop floor into something akin to an archeologist's dig in the rain!

11:31 AM  
Blogger Shelley L. MacKenzie said...

Hope you are feeling better! I've sent you my address and choice for the contest. Boy was I surprised to see that my name was drawn!

7:18 PM  
Blogger Diane said...

Hope you are feeling better soon.

8:59 AM  
Blogger Beth said...

I also love The Good Earth and 100 Years of Solitude. Both are books that have stayed with me for years. You really should give The Red Tent a go. It's a marvelous book.

Hope you sleep better tonight.

4:15 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home