Tuesday, January 02, 2007

Get an inside look!

Twice a year, The National Needlearts Association (TNNA) has a big trade show where new yarns are announced, new patterns and books are introduced, and all sorts of yarny fun goes on. I am all set to go to the next one, coming up in a couple of weeks, but I'm coming to the realization that Owen just isn't ready to have me leave him for two nights. Sigh. I was getting very excited and had even planned to meet up with Jill & Susan Wolcott (the Y2Knit goddesses) for dinner in addition to putting many names to faces at the Association of Knitwear Designers meeting. Not to mention just wandering the show floor, checking out the new yarns and hobnobbing with yarn companies, publishers and other knitting celebrities (okay, more likely I'd be staring at them in awe from a distance, worried I'd make a complete idiot of myself if I tried to talk to them - kind of like the first time I spoke to Pam Allen on the phone...). I was also planning to take a class from Shannon Okey on alternative fiber yarns, something the environmentalist in me is very interested in. I am not canceling my reservations yet, but it's not looking good for me (as you can see from the last sentence of this post).

A few of the designers who will have their work available at TNNA are giving everyone an inside peek, however, for all of us poor folks who can't attend the show. It's meant to build excitement so retailers will buy designs at the show, but it's in the form of a group blog that anyone can access. If you're dying to see some of the newest patterns that will hit the market (as well as some classics that you may not have seen yet), head on over to yarnandthread.com and check it out. If you see something you absolutely must have, tell your LYS owner to pick it up at the show. In Portland, anyway, pretty much all the LYSes send folks to the trade shows. Posts will continue to be added all the way up to the show, so keep checking back to see more good stuff.

My personal favorites are Knitting at KNoon's Shizuka sweater (which she calls the "good-butt sweater" - gotta love that!), Heartstring Fiber Arts' Scotch Thistle Lace Stole and Phoenix Bess's Rainbow Back Pack. BTW - Phoenix Bess is a 14-year old phenom who has some really fun, fresh designs. If you're into stitching, there are a few "thread artists" on the blog as well.

For me, this is a fascinating look into the world of TNNA and pattern publishing. I'm not quite ready to have my own booth yet, but I'm hoping maybe next year I will be. Hope you all had a great New Year's (our New Year's Eve consisted of Owen screaming for an hour and a half in Bill's arms starting at 2 am while we tried our trial separation from mom for the night...)!

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

You gotta go. Us mom's need some time away too. Just fill the babies little tummy up as full as possible before bed and maybe he will just sleep so deeply while his body is digesting his food that he won't even realize you are gone. Or...take him with you?

Either way, you simply have to go! I am so envious!

MarlyKnits
www.knitthing.blogspot.com

11:27 AM  
Blogger Gwen said...

There are so many reasons to go! the AKD meeting is a great place to get connected -- I know it really helped me when I was getting start to put faces to names. I hope to see you there.

Gwen Bortner
Knitability, LLC
Booth #732

9:42 PM  
Blogger Chris said...

Chrissy--I'm so sorry I forgot to tell you about the LLL meeting on Tuesday! We actually talked a bit about night weaning. I know it's exhausting for you both, but keep Owen with Bill at night for--getting Dad involved in night-time parenting was one of the main suggestions for night-weaning. You may be surprised at how quickly Owen learns to be okay with Dad instead of Mom. Also suggested was a good "rib-sticking snack" before bed time. You also might consider offering water at night, he may just be thirsty, especially as dry as it is these days.

Good luck. I think you should go.

5:56 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home