Thursday, December 07, 2006

Yeouch!

Whew! I finally feel like I can get back to blogging about regular things now. Like my moment of horror last night as I saw Owen running into the dining room with a loop of sock yarn wrapped around his ankle. With the sock attached. But without any needles in the sock any longer.

I've been working up a little sample sock to submit to Interweave (still deciding if it should go to Winter Knits or to Holiday Knits), and I'd just finished up the toe while watching Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire. I did a star toe, so I had like 6 stitches left with just a couple on each needle. I needed to find a yarn needle and some scissors so I could polish it off but got distracted by Sydney's bedtime and whatever else was going on at the time. Stupidly, I left my poor little sock on the couch, unattended.

The next thing I know, Owen's running around with yarn trailing behind him, and my sock no longer has a toe. D'oh! Fortunately, there was still one round left between the toe and the body of the sock, which is stranded colorwork. It could've been a lot worse, let me tell you! So I get ready to put the sock back on its needles, but I can't find the needles anywhere. I look under the couch, no needles. In the toy bins next to the couch, no needles. I'm frantically digging through toys and books, flinging pillows out of the way, trying to find the stupid needles. I had no idea where he could've stashed tham. I'd given up and flopped down on the floor next to the couch when I felt something strange in the spot where I'd been sitting...

Turns out Owen had taken each of the needles and stuck them through the cover of the futon (it's kind of a woven damask-type fabric that isn't totally impervious, but it's not like it's full of holes, either!). I had to feel around, find each one, and poke it back through. Fortunately I hadn't broken any of them by sitting on them! That boy is growing up to be a real handful.

I recovered nicely, and the sockette is waiting to be blocked and mailed off for Interweave to reject. I shouldn't say that - after all, they have accepted two of my designs. It's just that the percentage of rejections to acceptances is high enough that I'd prefer to assume that everything will be rejected, and then when it's accepted it's a nice surprise. I find that to be much more easy-to-take than getting really upset every time something's rejected.

Time for lunch! I get to eat a turkey and swiss sandwich in front of the TV. Guess what I'll be watching - Wonderpets! Yahoo.

8 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Three words. This. Is. "Sewious!"
(ah, Wonderpets!)

-Lisa

1:20 PM  
Blogger Sonya said...

That Owen! He's a busy little guy, isn't he? Glad there weren't injuries involved with the needles in the futon.

3:11 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

maybe ming ming, tuck, and winnie can come help.

4:49 PM  
Blogger Shelley L. MacKenzie said...

So glad that thing "Owen Situation" wasn't as disasterous as it could have been!

7:07 PM  
Blogger Jennifer said...

What's going to work... Teamwork! Ah, the joys of parenting young children. :-)

6:31 AM  
Blogger Christy said...

That's what my kids are watching right now so I can blog! My son especially likes the episode with the ants.

7:02 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

At least it didn't result in a knitting injury. Mom still has the scar from the time she sat on a knitting needle almost 20 years ago!
-your SP

7:56 AM  
Blogger lexa said...

Oh, no -- you don't have to suffer through Wonderpets too! I must say I don't care for them or The Backyardigans (obviously made by the same people). My littlest one sings the Wonderpets song all the time.

The sock incident sounds like something mine would do. I couldn't knit around my oldest one when he was that age. All he did was come over and haul the yarn off the needles, all the time. It was like a game for him. They both know now that Mama's knittin' is off limits! (Tear the house down, but don't touch that knitting basket! Tee hee!)

5:53 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home