Monday, January 23, 2006

Pumpkin Watch '06

The saga of the ever-rotting pumpkin on our front porch continues. Here's a little progress pic:


And for Chris, who loves those pumpkin-flesh eating microbes, here's a close-up of a particularly funky spot.


Bill says he's going to bury it in the flower bed as fertilizer. We'll see if and when that happens! Do you think we'll get any pumpkin plants if we bury a whole pumpkin?

I got a nice little box in the mail from Knit Picks yesterday, including a bunch of color cards. Some of those sock yarns are just screaming "buy me, Chrissy, buy me!"


This is what I worked on much of the weekend:


These are all of my Masters Level I swatches except one. I'm still working on the last one, which is two colors. Now to get them blocked and get all of the questions written up... Maybe by the end of the month? Or maybe not - this knit-along is keeping me VERY busy.

And speaking of the knit-along, here are your Monday sock updates!

Renata finished a pair of Socks That Rock Jaywalkers. And wouldn't you know, she was having a little contest w/ STR as a prize, and I tied for the win! Yahoo! Go check them out.

Christy has a lovely pair of grey Lichen Ribbed Socks from NB's Knitting Vintage Socks, along with some really cute kiddo pics. Her 10 month-old has some TEETH! Yowza! Owen is just a slow toother-outer, I guess.

Anonymous commenter finished a pair of Pomatomuses (or would it be Pomatomi), but since I don't know who you are, I can't give you credit! Please e-mail me!!!

Lauren has some lovely Embossed Leaves socks - her second pair of socks ever! Nice job! She also got herself a new spinning wheel...I am drooling!

Susan finished up a funky pair of Garter Rib Socks. I am totally craving that colorway - Knit Picks Sock Memories Hawaii!

Siri knit up some spotty socks for her boys along with some gorgeous Louet Opal Gems socks of her own design. They look so incredibly comfy!

Silvia finished her funky Kool-aid dyed socks. She already finished her January socks, so these are just for brownie points! And no, you don't get anything for brownie points other than some extra knit-along love...

Karon is a new knit-alonger who has one Embossed Leaf sock done. She signed up too late for a J, but go check out her lovely sock and blog anyway!

Good socking, people!

7 Comments:

Blogger msubulldog said...

Oh, you'll definitely get pumpkin plants this year if you bury that thing! And if you don't pull them all up, you'll get pumpkins for years to come. :)

I bought a bunch of color cards from KnitPicks the last time I ordered, too. I think the only thing I didn't get were the sock yarns and the "luxury" blends. I just drool over color cards & yarn samples. :P

Love seeing those swatches! You've been busy--and will be a Master Knitter in no time!

5:39 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

So, um, how often exactly does your yarn talk to you? Inquiring psychiatrists want to know :)

6:05 PM  
Blogger Sonya said...

Your level 1 swatches are inspiring me to get mine out and work on them. I wonder where they are?

Are your kids drawn to the ucky pumpkin? Seems like something small children would want to check out.

6:42 PM  
Blogger Knittypants said...

Wow! That pumpkin is disgusting! I shudder to think of the moist slimy patch it is leaving on your porch.

Nice job on your swatches, looking forward to hearing about your results after you send them in.

9:09 PM  
Blogger chris said...

Holy crow, girl! That pumpkin is about ready to implode. I am so grossly fascinated with that funky spot you took the close-up of. (Thank you for indulging me! ;-)) I think you've got several different phyla there for sure. I would love to culture that portion and see what pans out. I'm not too sure about getting a pumpkin plant if you bury that thing...is there anything remotely pumpkin like left in that microbe shell?? ;-) Your swatches look great- sure looks like a lot of work! I give you so much credit for somehow managing to do everything! I hate when that pestery sock yarn starts screaming at me, too. Thanks for all your hard work hostessing this KAL and take care! :-)

10:58 PM  
Blogger Lauren said...

Oh my! That pumpkin is truly disgusting!

6:38 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That pumpkin is truly gross!! We had several in early rot two Halloweens ago. Dh kicked them off the porch, under a huge forsythia bush (this thing was like, 15 feet tall) anyway, last spring I got a bee in my bonnet to cut back he forsythia, so down it went to little 3" nubs. About a week later, we notices little pumpkin plants sprouting everywhere. We wound up with a HUGE pumpkin patch alon the whole side of our house. So, you can definitely get some pumpkins from that thing ;)

11:32 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home