Tuesday, January 24, 2006

I'm typing as fast as I can...

...while I anxiously listen to the baby monitor... The boy had another rough night last night. I'm really conflicted as to whether I should give him antibiotics or not. He's pulling on his ears a little bit, and he's very cranky at night, but I definitely am anti-overmedicating. I wish I knew how to use one of those ear probe thingys. I don't want to drag him back to the doctor yet again! What do you guys think? To antibiotic or not to antibiotic - that is the question.

I have some more sock updates, but first a couple public service announcements. First, I don't know if you all have heard about the whole Stitch and Bitch trademark controversy. You can read all about it here. I'm not going to get into my opinions on this, other than the fact that this ISN'T the way to get good PR for yourself. But if you feel strongly about this whole fiasco, please go check out the site and see if there's anything you can do to help.

Second, check out the Harlot's lovely post about her 2-year blogiversary and Knitters Without Borders. If you haven't yet gotten on this particular bandwagon (and I hadn't gotten around to it until she inspired me today), please consider it. And thank Stephanie for all that she does for us knitters! She truly rocks.

Okay, now for some socks!

First off, if you want in on Sockapaloooza, sign up today. Signups are open until midnight tonight, so get over there!

Carol finished some Magic Stripes socks while getting in some good TV watching.

Jaya finished a lovely pair of socks for her lucky friend T.

Keep those sock updates coming! Remember, they have to be in by midnight PST on January 31st - one week from today - to count!

12 Comments:

Anonymous jillian said...

I've heard an emulsion of garlic as drops can help ear infections. Garlic does has antibiotic properties, but I don;t know how good it would be for an infanct! Hope he feels better!

10:44 AM  
Blogger Jennifer said...

I'd hold off on the antibiotics for a day or two more to see if he improves at all.

I just realized that I have a week left to finish up the Jaywalkers... I'll try, but I don't know if I'm going to make it!

12:07 PM  
Blogger candsmom said...

Poor Owen- I feel so bad for him! And I'm totally with you about not wanting to overmedicate with antibiotics. Especially when 8/10 times, the infection is viral. I understand the whole prophylaxis better-safe-than -sorry philosophy, but antibiotics are so hard on an infants GI system. I think they definitely have their place and I'd wholeheartedly administer them if I knew for sure the infection was bacterial, but it's a tough call otherwise. It pretty much sucks, but maybe getting it checked out again might be safer. BTW, the Harlot definitely rocks!! Love her. Take care and hope Owen feels better soon. :-)

12:11 PM  
Blogger Erica said...

Ooh, toughie... I hate going to the doctors and I hate giving my kids anything stronger than Tylenol. But at the same time, sometimes we have to give in. I'd wait a day or two, also, and then if he's still feeling bad, take him in.

12:47 PM  
Anonymous JessaLu said...

I hope he feels better - I agree with holding off on antibiotics.

1:46 PM  
Blogger Bitterknitter said...

Poor Owen! Here's hoping he starts feeling better in a couple of days; I'm with you on the antibiotics dilemma. Thanks again for your dedication to this knitalong! It's the first I've ever joined (I've lurked at others...) and you are really doing a great job with the updates AND getting some serious knit on yourself! Bravo!

3:40 PM  
Blogger Acornbud said...

I'm with the majority, wait a day or two since there is no fever or continuous discomfort.
I'm enjoying all the socks. Thanks!

3:52 PM  
Anonymous Sonya said...

I am new to your blog - also a knitting mom - and you have my sympathies! It is so tough to be in your position. My 6 month old was very sick over Thanksgiving, waiting and watching each night - so conflicted over whether to medicate or not.

Plenty of rest, fluids, and a hot water bottle. Hope he feels better!

8:22 PM  
Blogger Jen said...

Hmm, i'm probably the last person to ask about ever medicating. I'm probably the only person making a career in pharmaceuticals who absolutely refuses to medicate anything. I agree though about waiting a little bit to see what happens.

AACK! One week...gotta get knitting...

8:59 PM  
Blogger choomon said...

I always wait three days on infections to see if they will turn around- they ususally do. If you have a natural grocery near you, they sell an ear oil that works well, and don't hold back on the pain meds, either.

9:00 AM  
Blogger Erica said...

Eeew! That pumpkin needs to be put to rest. Poor thing. Put it out of it's misery and bury it!
And to answer your question about the top, I'm being (slightly) creative. I left a reply on the comments of my post with the details of where the beads are going but I won't bore you with that here.
I'll probably enter your knit along for a few select months, but I can't commit to the whole year. Too bad, cuz it's a way cool idea. I'm doing sockapalooza though, so those will definitely qualify.

12:10 PM  
Blogger jennie said...

Is it too late to join the sock-a-month? I sent an e-mail but haven't been added to the list... I've got january socks (soon to have two pairs, i hope!)

7:53 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home