Tuesday, November 01, 2005

Yowza!!!

I am getting to that knitting meme if I'm able to do it before the boy wakes up, but first...I got a little package in the mail yesterday from keohinani! I RAK'd her a few weeks ago, and she RAK'd me right back! It was totally unexpected and VERY appreciated. Here is the awesome loot she sent.

First, all wrapped up in tissue paper (and tied in yarn - how appropriate):


And inside, a bunch of yummy bath stuff from lush.com that smells (and looks) good enough to eat...


...a bunch of AWESOME Simpsons stuff, including a Maggie doll that hangs from a little suction cup (Sydney has already claimed this as her own), a 2006 trivia calendar (the better to test my Simpsons knowledge, my dear) and a travel mug (which Sydney is desperately trying to lay claim to as well)...


...some very cool Halloween hankies, which Sydney will no doubt claim as soon as they're opened...


...and a gorgeous hank of yarn, which is mine - ALL MINE! Jill, you have to tell me more about this yarn. It's very mysterious w/ no label. What is it? Where did you get it? Who made it? It's lovely! I'm going to be looking around for the perfect lacy scarf pattern to knit it up into.

And it was all topped off by a lovely Hawaiian thank you card covered in plumeria (one of my absolute favorite flowers):


Thank you, thank you, thank you! You really made my day!

Okay, on to the knitting meme:

1. What is your all-time favorite yarn to knit with?

Do I have to pick just one? I love GGH Soft Kid, and of course Lorna's Laces Shepherd Sock. I'm also a big fan of Knit Picks Shine and Essential. Of course, there are so many great yarns out there that I have yet to get my hands on, it feels wrong to name an all-time favorite just yet...

2. Favorite needles?

I like my Addis for socks on circs, but for everything else it's all about the bamboo.

3. What's the worst thing you ever knit?

Culvert!

4. Favorite knit pattern? The most fun to knit?

Hmm... I really liked the Better Than Booties Baby Socks from IK summer '05, and I really like Conwy from Knitting On The Road. I feel like it's wrong to name just one.

5. Most valuable knitting technique?

Mattress stitch!

6. Best knit book or magazine?

IK, of course. And I love Nancie Wiseman's Knitter's Book of Finishing Techniques (which is where I learned the lovely and awesome mattress stitch). For reference purposes, the Vogue Knitting bible is great. Also love Ann Budd's Handy Book of Patterns and Handy Book of Sweater Patterns.

7. Favorite knitalong?

I love knitalongs, but I'm kind of bad at following through. I just like signing up for them. Right now, it's a tie between Socktoberfest and the Knitting On The Road Along (sense a theme here?).

8. Favorite knitblogs?

Props go out to my first knitblog buddies - Karen the (mostly) self-taught knitter, Jen the Knitting Spaz, Jill at Aloha & Oreos and Chris over at Bits of Knits. I also really like Crazy Aunt Purl for sheer entertainment, Knitlet for awesome knitting patterns and kid talk, and Yarn Harlot for that little touch of knitting celebrity. But if you're on my bloglines, I read you pretty regularly.

9. Favorite knitwear designer?

I really like Brynne's stuff from Knitty (Cargo, Seamus), and I love Nancy Bush's socks. I like Jenna Adorno's sweaters, although I'm starting to think they're just not for me wear-wise... Again, it's hard to pick just one!

10. The knit item that you wear the most?

I've only had them a little while, but my straight-laced socks are continually in the laundry. I don't know if this counts, but my son wears his better than booties baby socks constantly.

Okay, I'm not sure who has been tagged and who hasn't (and as much as I love y'all, I don't have time or energy to search through all your comments so if you don't have the answers up, I'm considering you fair game), so I'm tagging Brynne, Momma, Jillian, Jen and Beak Knits to get her back for tagging me with that durn 20 things meme.

6 Comments:

Blogger Jillio said...

hi chrissy! i'm glad you like the goodies!!! :)
and yeah, sorry about neglecting to put a label in with the yarn! i didn't think about it until i was just leaving the post office. it's a 100g skein, 850 yds, of the wool lace weight handpaintedyarn in the brown berries colorway. i kept thinking of your spork's colors when i looked at it. :)
enjoy!!!

10:19 AM  
Blogger msubulldog said...

What, no picture of the YARN???? We want to see! *jumps up to look over your shoulder* :)

10:27 AM  
Blogger Jillio said...

you know what's so weird? i just noticed everything except the yarn was in three's. three bath items, three simpsons items, and three packs of hankies. totally unintentional, i assure you.

10:28 AM  
Blogger chris said...

What an awesome package!! The Simpsons stuff is great! And you're such a nice mom to share with Sydney. I'd turn to my kids and yell, "Mine! Mine!" Right back at them. ;-) That's so awesome that you got RAK'd!

10:57 AM  
Blogger Jen said...

Ha! I was going to tag myself for this one, but yay, I'm not a loser!

I'll get right on that one...

Oh, and lace weight yarn... mmm, what are you going to pick for your project?

BTW, do you have your word identification set to expert mode or something? For some reason, your words are really hard to type and I keep getting them wrong! I feel so remedial...

11:40 AM  
Blogger Jillio said...

check out magknits!! they've got some patterns on shawls that recently came out...

2:05 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home