Sunday, October 30, 2005

I'm such a bad blogger!

We have been crazed the past few days, so I haven't had much time for blogging. I will get to those memes eventually, I promise! I'm not ignoring you!

Friday night and Saturday morning were completely consumed by a really amazing seminar at Sydney's preschool called The Silent Journey. On Friday night, we spent an hour silently touring and observing classrooms from each of the levels, from preschool through junior high. It's pretty amazing what you pick up when you're focused on observing and not allowed to speak. Saturday morning we spent about an hour in each of the four levels "working" in the classrooms (i.e. doing the activities that the kids get to choose from). I thought Montessori was a good idea before I went through this seminar, but now I'm a total fan. It was amazing how advanced the concepts were, even in the preschool rooms. There was so much math, science and geography, even at a very young age. Bill and I talked about it afterward and figured that the fact that he was raised as a Montessori brat is why he is so much better at doing math in his head than I am. The math activities really help you break the problems down and visualize them as pieces (instead of just memorizing your multiplication tables, like I did in grade school).

Last night and this morning are going to be spent in a mad rush, trying to get ready for our crazy Halloween party this afternoon. I should be doing that right now, in fact! But first I have a few pictures to post.

Here is a progress shot of the baby Uggs.


What I didn't realize when I started them is that the fuzzy details on the sides and over the instep are stitched, not knitted in! It was a little bit of a pain to do all that stitching, but I perservered.



And yes, they stay on for about two seconds. They're a little bit better with socks underneath them. It would be really cushy to totally line them with the Plush, but I didn't have the energy (plus they'd just get kicked off right away anyway). I love how they turned out, but I'm not sure how much they'll actually get worn. As far as practicality goes, the baby socks win out, hands down!

Poor Owen is always having to deal with my knitting getting in his way.


He's okay with it as long as he gets to eat a yarn ball band every once in awhile.


I also started on Pasha for my secret pal (who I'm quite sure doesn't read my blog, and has a thing for penguins).


I think it will be a fast, fun project that will keep me nursing my serious second sock syndrome a little bit longer. Poor Conwy!

The other day I walked into our tv room to find Sydney like this:


Fortunately she doesn't weigh very much! Do you think she still wants to be the baby?

6 Comments:

Blogger Knittypants said...

Your kids are so cute, I love those Ugg Booties, I really want to make a pair for my daughter, but I think she will do the same thing and just kick them right off.

8:34 AM  
Blogger Laura said...

The Ugg booties are too cute. Even if they don't stay on, worth the effort just for the pics. Sam used to get into John's exersaucer too!

10:51 AM  
Blogger chris said...

The baby Uggs are SO cute!! Definitely worth all the stitching pain- they look too cute on Owen! Man, you knit/stitched those up fast. Can't wait to see your finished Pasha- everytime I see that pattern I want to make one. I've always thought the Montessori philosophy was right on the money. Which reminds me that I need to get on it in filling out the mountain of preschool apps I have sitting on my desk. :-P Sydney's so cute in the exersaucer!! Bossy used to do that too, which worked out fine, since Stinky hated it.

12:59 PM  
Blogger msubulldog said...

Oh, your husband's poor back! :) Those Uggs are so cute (I thought the details were knitted in, too. . . ). Maybe that's why they're called Uggs! Ha,ha,ha.
By the way, did your school seminar turn up any good resources about Montessori schools that you're able to share? I need to start looking into preschools for my little one and don't know much about any of them! Thanks.
--Amanda

11:39 PM  
Blogger Acornbud said...

Those uggs are so cute. Footwear is often decorative in toddlers as I remember. Looking forward to seeing your finished Pasha, too.

7:56 AM  
Blogger Jen said...

You think you're a bad blogger... notice I havne't posted in about a week!

Don't worry about it. Blogging is supposed to be fun and if you end up feeling guilty about not posting, it couldn't be fun anymore. The baby Uggs are so cute. How much suede and plush did you end up needing? I was thinking about making a pair since one of my LYS has suede on sale for 40% off, but I felt strange not knowing what to do with the leftovers. Do you think you could get 2 pairs out of the plush and suede?

10:14 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home