Monday, November 07, 2005

What a bizarro day...

Yesterday had disaster written all over it. I should've just stayed in bed. First, I posted what I thought was an innocent little invitation to join my Beginning Designers Webring on a Yahoo group for knit designers that I'm in. Firestorm of the century ensued. I won't get into it here, but suffice it to say that it was a wee bit stressful, especially since there are folks on that list who can make or break your career as a knit designer. I did get a few personal e-mails of support, one of which was from Lorna Miser, founder of Lorna's Laces. This was a little thrill (okay, a big thrill) for me, since it's the company that makes my very favorite yarn! She sold the company a few years ago, but still. She is a very sweet lady.

Then, rejection came swooping down on me in the form of an e-mail from Knitty. They're not taking my design. Not a huge surprise, but still disappointing. I try to keep thinking of selling designs as being like selling a novel, or a house. You just need to get it in front of the right person at the right time. After a little pity party, I dusted myself off and sent an e-mail off to Kerrie at Mag Knits. They publish monthly, so they might have a little more room for my humble little scarf pattern...

To top it all off, I screwed up the short row heel on my little baby sock on the very last row.


Sorry about the blurry photo - I really need a camera that takes better close-ups! The way that these short rows are constructed uses a series of yarn overs instead of the usual wrap-and-turn. This makes it next to impossible to tink and get all of the yo's back on the needle in the right place and facing the right way. Good thing it's a tiny little sock!


This one has the x-o cable pattern down the front. I'm knitting this pair on size 1 needles (the pairs I made for Owen were on size 2s), and it is soooo teeny! Karen just bought some of this same yarn, same colorway - look how nice it knits up! You've got good taste, girl!

I did end the day right, though, by finishing my mother-in-law's Christmas present. Click here for pics. It turned out great, so I'm very happy.

Before we leave, I need all y'all's opinion on something. I was making Conwy with the intent to give them to my daughter's preschool teacher for Christmas. However, she's an all-black, twin-sets-and-heels kinda gal. Do you think these are too wild? I'm thinking that maybe I should keep these for myself (yeah, wouldn't that be a bummer) and make her some heather gray straight-laced socks. What do you guys think? To refresh your memory, here is a pic of the second Conwy, languishing without a toe.

11 Comments:

Blogger Knittypants said...

I am sorry to hear about your bad day. It sucks when all the bad things happen at once. But, your baby socks are so cute. I need to learn how to make socks as I am starting to covet all the gorgeous handknit socks I am seeing.

9:56 AM  
Blogger Jillio said...

well, as they say: anything worth getting isn't easy.
with knitting socks, publishing a design, or just whatever, it's gonna feel that much better when everything falls into place. i still have to ask, though...were there crack cookies at this pity party? hehehe...
as for the conwy sock, i think you should give her the socks. she's a preschool teacher. she mustn't be all that stuffy if she's a preschool teacher. and if she knew how much work went into them, i'm sure they'll soon become her favorite socks! but if you just need another excuse to make socks, that's all good too :)

10:06 AM  
Blogger Karen said...

Ooohh, yes, that Lorna's yarn is knitting up great - thanks for the preview. Too bad about Knitty :( it's their loss - they could have said they knew you when!!

Thanks for your supportive comment on my blog - it's 2:00, the worst is over and I'm okay, and it down hill from here. Details tonight on my blog.

As for the sock - I'm afraid I vote keep 'em for yourself and knit plain ones for her. It would be a shame for them to sit in her drawer gathering dust because they're too crazy for her. :)

11:04 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

What a day!! Have a crack cookie - and keep the Conwy's for yourself. No point risking smething so pretty on someone who may not appreciate them anyway. She will probably like straight up gray heather more :0

11:19 AM  
Blogger Nyxxie said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

12:20 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow everything looks wonderful love the socks and I am sure you will find a way to fix the baby one. Sorry about the pattern stuff that sucks that people are not kind to others. I have not forgotten about you I have an order that I hope (cross fingers) will be here this week so I can FINALLY send off your package! Take care.

SP6

12:21 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Chin up and keep going!

12:33 PM  
Blogger chris said...

I'm so sorry to hear about your bad day, Chrissy. I'm surprised that Knitty does not know a good thing when they see it. Well, it's definitely their loss and your gain...when you sell that design for tons of money to some major pattern book! Man, I'm curioius to know what happened with the Webring. I'm so sorry that turned out to be such a firestorm. But how exciting to meet Miss Lorna!! I would've been giddy. I'm with Jill in thinking that the Conwy would be great for the preschool teacher- you've gotta be a little loopy to WANT to teach preschool. :-) And besides, the Conwy isn't "loopy" or even "wild"- it's beautiful, and I'm sure she'd love it. I'm sending you lots of good thoughts and vibes and the spirit of a tin of crack cookies. Take care.

1:10 PM  
Blogger Heather said...

I'm sorry you had such a bad day but I'm glad things are looking up. Your socks look amazing, I'm having a tough time with my first pair and don't know if I'll be making more anytime soon.

4:15 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I just saw your comment on my site. Busy week...
I would love to meet you at Nostrana:) Make sure to introduce yourself. I am there every night except Sundays.
Your socks look great!

11:26 PM  
Blogger Acornbud said...

Whew what a day you had! Your baby sock will be fixed and is so cute! I vote for giving the teacher the socks. She may be wearing hot pink at home! One never knows :) Hmmm, but of course if you give her something else, you get to keep them!

9:03 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home