Friday, September 23, 2005

She survived!

She didn't want to leave, actually. I guess that's not too much of a surprise. After all, she got to paint, drink water from a blue cup and got pushed on the blue swing. These are the things she told me about in the car on the way home. She was in a great mood all afternoon and fell asleep on Grammy's sofa at 6:30. So, all in all, I think it was a success. When asked if she wanted to go back tomorrow, she said yes.

After spending a tense morning, waiting to go pick her up, I felt better when I got there and the receptionist told me "Oh, yeah, I heard there was a new little girl in Ms. P's class. Everyone says that she's just so cute, and fitting in so well..." That gave me the warm fuzzies!

Here is the post-first-day picture of her recovering with some Annie's spiral pasta:


And here is her brother, all smiley from having mommy to himself all morning!



That said, this morning was a repeat of yesterday's scene (except it didn't freak me out so much). This time she broke down in the hallway and did that toddler thing where they go completely limp and are impossible to pick up... I handed her over to the classroom assistant, who managed to sling her like a sack of potatoes (okay, that sounds worse than it really was - she slung her in a good way) and took her into the classroom. I high-tailed it down the hall and comforted myself with the fact that she's in good hands.

Bill and I went to a parent night last night that was run by the guide and her assistant. It was perfect timing, since they talked again about how to handle separation anxiety and the fact that it often rears its ugly head even when the child is doing perfectly fine once the parent is gone. I got there a little early and talked to Ms. P about Sydney's day, and how great she was when I picked her up, and Ms. P warned me that despite that, she'd probably be upset again the next few times that I dropped her off. I really like both Ms. P and Ms. G (the assistant), which makes this so much easier. I think I'm going to knit them some socks for Christmas, just to show my appreciation! Hmm - is that the excuse I need to buy myself Knitting On The Road? I think it might be... I can't wait until a few months have passed and Sydney is settled into the new routine. As much as I talk about being okay with it, I'm really trying to talk myself into it! I know it's good for her, but there's that feral mommy instinct that makes it really hard to do anything that seems harmful or upsetting to my child.

I am making some good progress on Sue's Xmas present - I will post some pictures when I get a little further and they're more exciting. I also FINALLY got my yarn from Knit Picks. So now I can knit Hopeful, in all my free time. I also got some Ambrosia, which is an alpaca-cashmere blend, which I hope to use for Branching Out. This will be the third yarn I've tried to use for BO, so hopefully the third time's the charm!

4 Comments:

Blogger Jillio said...

your kids are sooooOOOoooOoOOOOOooo cute!!!!!

10:30 AM  
Blogger chris said...

I'm so glad to hear that everything worked out yesterday. And you wouldn't be the good mom that you are if you didn't have that feral mommy instinct. Looking forward to seeing Sue's finished present. And yay that your KP order arrived! Alpaca-cashmere, how luxurious! Side note: don't you love those exersaucers?? My kids LIVED in those from 5-8 mos.

12:02 PM  
Blogger Jen said...

I'm glad you survived day 2 better than day 1. And for your anxiety this week, some yummy alpaca/cashmere! I was hoping to try that out some day. If it doesn't work out for you for BO, I have a few balls extra of Silky Wool in the same color as my Hopeful if you want it.

So you're starting Hopeful soon? Please do! I'm begging you so I can have someone to get me through this... Can I convince you I ripped out my first version half way through so that I could start with you?

6:00 PM  
Blogger Laura said...

So glad that Sydney had fun. I thought she would! And don't worry, those little scenes at drop off will, well, drop off! :)

I've been thinking about starting Branching Out too, but am not sure about what yarn to use. I'd love to know what you've tried, and rejected.

6:36 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home