Tuesday, September 20, 2005

Little Miss Bossy

We went to Sydney's school yesterday for her mini-orientation. Basically, we went to the classroom after everyone left and met her teacher (called a guide in Montessori-speak), who then tried to give Sydney a mini-lesson. The idea is that she will be familiar with one of the activities when she starts on Thursday and will hopefully be more comfortable in the new environment as a result. Bill and I were sitting in little tiny chairs at the side of the room, observing (and trying hard not to laugh out loud).

Sydney's guide was very patiently trying to show her one of the activity trays. First she led her to a little box of different sized cylinders, asked her if she'd like to work with it, and started to take it off the shelf. Sydney responds with "No, I want to see circles" and pulls out a different tray. They take it over to a little table and sit down to work with it. I can't remember the whole conversation that they had word for word, but I do remember hearing "No!" and "Don't do that!" more often than anything else. I was caught between thinking it was hysterical and being totally mortified that my daughter was bossing her teacher around. It was also a little bit too much like hearing my own voice coming out of her mouth...

After Sydney had worked her way through a couple different trays, peppering her conversation with various negatives along the way, the guide came over to talk to us and reassure us that she was going to be fine. There is a clause in the student handbook that says all new children are on a 3-month probationary period to make sure that they fit in with the "community". I have nightmares that I'm going to get a call from the guide in a couple months telling me that Sydney just isn't fitting in with all the calm, orderly little Montessori kids. When I'm thinking positively, I'm hoping that she will become one of the calm, orderly little Montessori kids.

Last night the Knitting Mommies met at Mabel's. There were eight of us there, knitting on various lovely projects and horrifying the tables next to us with our talk of potty training and diapering. One of the moms had just attended a cloth diapering get-together where a woman was selling patterns for wool diaper covers. Some were knitted, and others were made out of old wool sweaters. It sounded like a neat concept, and I think it could be even better if they were felted. Hmm...new design project?

We discussed cloth vs. disposables for awhile (most of the moms there use cloth, since Eastside moms are pretty crunchy for the most part). I used disposables for Sydney and never had a problem with them, but the idea of cloth has always been in the back of my head since I try to be a (somewhat half-a**ed) environmentalist. When Owen was born and both kids were in disposables, the sheer volume of diapers that we were throwing away was what pushed me over the edge. Sydney potty trained shortly thereafter, and I switched Owen to cloth. We used to have a trash can that was overflowing and would just barely make it from trash day to trash day. Now we can put it out once every few weeks. It made such an unbelievable difference! I will say that I use a diaper service - I could never keep up with the extra laundry (or the grossness factor) of washing them myself. And I may change my mind when Owen is older and his diapers are nastier, but for now, I love the cloth!

Okay, that is probably TMI (too much information). I will get back to knitting tomorrow!

3 Comments:

Blogger Karen said...

Alright Sydney - I love a girl with strong convictions!!!! Don't worry, she will do fine at Montessori. I think it's good that she knows how to stand up for herself.

11:35 AM  
Blogger chris said...

Man, do I know what you mean about kids channeling your voice. That happens a little too frequently around here. :P But on the upside, I think it's great that Sydney's got a mind of her own! Go Sydney! I'm sure she'll fit in and do great at pre-school, without morphing into a Montessori stepford child. :-) Yay for Knitting Mommies!! What a great idea. We're crunchy here in Hawaii, too...love those poopy cloth diapers!

12:07 PM  
Blogger Jen said...

I don't think you'll have to worry about Sydney fitting in. She'll be fine. As long as she's not beating the other kids, I don't think the pre-school would kick her out. Besides, at least now you know that your daughter will not be the meek, always walked-on type!

Oh, and if you think your post was TMI, check out this string at the Knitty board if you haven't already. I laughed my butt off reading this string, but turned beet red at the same time!

Your mini poncho looks great! And you were worried about your gauge being too small... pshah!

2:04 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home