Sunday, September 18, 2005

Mini Poncho Madness

I did it! The mini poncho is complete. Here it is, in all its glory:


It really didn't turn out to be as "mini" as I thought it was going to be. It's down past my waist in front and hits right above my elbow on the sides. I could've left it alone instead of pulling like crazy to get it to 13" wide when blocking it! All of the pink finishing was done w/ crochet, which was kind of fun. I'll always love crochet, even though knitting is my big thing right now!

I posted this awhile ago, but if you want the pattern it is free on the Interweave Knits website - click here to get it (in pdf format). The mini poncho instructions are on the second page.

We went down to the river this afternoon (the river being the Columbia) to do a little photo shoot for my Knitty submission. We got some great pictures - hopefully Amy and the gang will like them enough to accept my pattern! Sydney has a cold, so she was EXTREMELY cranky the whole time. Owen has the same cold but it's bothering him a lot less. Here is a cute-kid-and-husband pic:


And Mom, this one's for you - isn't he cute?


Before I forget, I want to thank you all for your very nice comments in response to my post the other day. You guys are too sweet! I've been meaning to thank you for days, but every time I sit down to blog, I forget. Something about that whole five hours of sleep a night for the last five months...it does bad things to the short-term memory.

Yesterday we drove to the big downtown post office to mail our Katrina victim care packages. As we were pulling out of our parking spot to leave, we got crunched! Bill was SO irritated - this was the second ding on the van in under a week. One of the first things he said after we were driving away was "Please don't blog about this." Sorry, honey, but it's all fair game! I will say that this accident was absolutely not his fault. We had backed out of our spot, and the guy in the opposite row backed right into us. Fortunately it didn't do much damage to either car. My inclination is to just leave the ding in there. Maybe people will give me a wider berth when I'm driving around in a dinged up van. I don't think it goes so well with the license plate holder I just got from Knitty, though.

How ironic is it that we got bashed right after we did our good deed for the day? Where's the karma in that? One of the packages that we sent was to a woman in Denver whose sister had been stuck in Biloxi and was coming to stay with her. She said that her sister had been forced to give her baby Gatorade for three days since there were no relief supplies and no formula. It just about killed me to read that. Fortunately he's 12 months old so he can eat other stuff besides formula. It makes me wonder about all of the younger babies that were stuck there, though. My next thought was that I am so glad I'm a nursing mama. My babies will never lack food as long as they're with me. Plus I don't have to get up in the middle of the night and go downstairs to fix a bottle... Anyway, I sent some nice bath stuff to this woman since she said that all her sister wants to do is take a nice, long, hot bubble bath. Who can blame her?

4 Comments:

Blogger chris said...

Your poncho turned out BEAUTIFULLY!! It looks great on you!! I like your version a LOT better than the "mini" one in the mag. Good luck to you with your Knitty submission...I'm sure we'll be seeing your pattern and pics there soon. I'm so sorry to hear about the van crunch. Gosh. I'm glad to know that you're all okay, though. That Gatorade story kills me, too. We're getting a bunch of baby blankets and clothes ready to send soon. It's not much, but I hope it helps some other moms and babies. For all that you've done, there is definitely good karma coming your way... I'm positive!

7:26 PM  
Blogger Karen said...

Loving the "not-so-mini" poncho. If I could be a little demanding - I'd love some close-up shots . . . I'm dying to really see the pink edging and flower(??). Not sure what's going on with the Karma, but maybe it's working in a mysterious way that seems off now, but will all be revealed in the future.

7:45 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Poncho looks wonderul and happy to know that you are ok even if the van isn't!
Have a wonderful day!

SP6

7:50 AM  
Blogger Laura said...

How did I manage to miss the modeled photo of the Mini Poncho? Talk about a tool... LOL! It looks great on you! Wear it with Poncho Pride!

4:54 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home