Tuesday, September 27, 2005

100 Things...

Since the boy is asleep and the girl is at school, and I have nothing better to do, here goes...

1. My birthday is two days before my mom's, and six days after my grandmother's.
2. I was an expert downhill skier in high school.
3. I haven't skied much since I graduated from high school, sadly.
4. My parents both played in an orchestra when I was little, and I was let loose to run around backstage during rehearsals.
5. I was raised (mostly) vegetarian.
6. I'm now an avid meat eater.
7. My parents both eat meat now, too.
8. My parents divorced my sophomore year of college.
9. They are both remarried.
10. My husband and I got engaged three months after we met.
11. I spent half of that pre-engagement time overseas (without him).
12. I knew he was the guy for me when he flew to Portugal for the weekend to be with me, even though we'd only gone out on a couple dates.
13. We met on a blind date set up by our mothers.
14. I worked for a software company for six and a half years right out of college.
15. That software company went public in '99, and I had enough stock options to make me a paper millionaire.
16. The options weren't vested, so I couldn't cash them in.
17. By the time they started to vest, they weren't worth very much.
18. Bill and I honeymooned in Africa on a safari.
19. I was an avid world traveler in my 20s.
20. I have visited 17 countries on five continents.
21. I have NOT been to all 50 states.
22. My goal was to visit all seven continents by the age of 30.
23. I had kids instead.
24. I studied in Queensland, Australia for a semester in college.
25. Much of it was spent in a booze-induced haze.
26. I was a geology major in college.
27. I was a National Merit Scholar.
28. Bill and I are both members of MENSA.
29. We insult each other by saying "somebody has to be the stupidest person in MENSA..."
30. I can play piano quite well.
31. I played the trombone in high school.
32. I also sang in the choir - I was alto section leader.
33. I was one of the lead characters in our school musical my senior year.
34. I had an on-stage kiss - yikes!
35. We managed to get through it for several rehearsals and performances.
36. I learned to knit when I was about 10.
37. I did my first knitting on an old red pair of plastic knitting needles, one of which was broken in half and had a Battleship peg taped to the end to keep the stitches from sliding off
38. For the longest time, I though casting on WAS knitting
39. Despite my apparently high IQ, I couldn't figure out how the heck to make a piece of fabric by casting on
40. Crocheting made more sense to me, and I did that exclusively for years
41. I was a Tastefully Simple consultant for a short time
42. I discovered I hate selling things
43. I also discovered that I hate home parties
44. Actually, I like going to them, just not DOING them
45. I'm only halfway through this? Not even?
46. I'm bad at math
47. Despite that, I took two years of Calculus in college
48. I don't consider Calculus to be real math
49. Or maybe I should say, I don't consider arithmetic to be real math (because that's what I'm bad at)
50. I don't consider myself to be athletic even though I like being active
51. I hate football
52. My husband loves sports (except for baseball)
53. I don't let him watch football when I'm in the room. Or golf.
54. I will watch basketball with him, every once in awhile
55. We both love watching tennis
56. We are fanatics about watching the Olympics
57. We are also reality tv junkies
58. And bad movie junkies
59. I love anything directed by the Farrely Brothers
60. I am also a big fan of the Coen Brothers
61. And Christopher Guest
62. We like to watch the same movies over and over again until we're sick of them
63. My favorite is "Dumb & Dumber"
64. Bill's is "Blue Crush"
65. We are obsessed with American Idol whenever it's on
66. And The Apprentice
67. I can quote extensively from The Simpsons
68. Matt Groening, the creator of The Simpsons, is from Oregon.
69. Okay, #68 isn't about me, is it?
70. My point was that there are many characters in The Simpsons named after things in Portland - Skinner, Terwilliger, Flanders - and I get a little buzz every time I spot a new reference
71. We actually drove by Evergreen Terrace (the name of the street where the Simpsons live) a few weeks ago - buzz, buzz, buzz!
72. I'm skeptical that I can actually come up with 28 more things...
73. I've been to Paris five times
74. I bicycled across southern China in 1999
75. My grandparents owned a farm, which I practically grew up on
76. I had a quarter horse named Sally
77. We had to sell her after she started rolling over whenever anyone tried to ride her
78. I've baled hay, made maple syrup, fed chickens, gathered eggs, raised tadpoles into frogs, and given bottles to baby calves on the farm
79. I worked at the Dairy Queen in high school
80. I have my PADI Advanced Open Water SCUBA diving certification
81. I have been unofficially diagnosed with Menier's disease (an inner ear condition), which means I can't dive
82. I got my son's name from one of Elaine's boyfriends on Seinfeld
83. I can roll my tongue
84. My kids sleep with me
85. I don't like vegetables
86. I am a milk chocolate fanatic
87. I drink about six cans of diet soda a day
88. We bought Starbucks stock to make ourselves feel better about spending so much money there
89. I've moved an average of once a year since I graduated from high school
90. Bill and I have bought four houses and sold three
91. After this last move, we swear we're never moving again
92. I was a cheerleader for one year in high school
93. It was fun, but I didn't try out again the following year
94. In college I liked to make homemade salsa and pickles
95. My husband does all the cooking because I hate to cook
96. I do like to bake, preferably out of a box
97. I hardly ever wear makeup
98. I have never voted Republican, and can't imagine that I ever will
99. I've never dated a Republican, either
100. I am really glad this is over, because I don't think I can dredge anything else up!

3 Comments:

Blogger Jillio said...

wow, you were quite the globetrotter! that's awesome!
i actually like calculus better than real math because real math requires *gulp* numbers. whenever i go out and someone asks me to calculate tip, i tell them i'm not on the clock (i do lots of math at work, fancy that...).
now that you mentioned matt groening is from oregon, i am even more of a fan of that show. sure, they have their down seasons...but it's still all good.
this was a very enjoyable read, however difficult it was to get from 1 to 100. :)

2:16 PM  
Blogger Jen said...

Thanks for doing the 100 things post. I LOVE reading the non-knitting content to get to know the knitter better. I'll probably commiserate with you when I get around to trying to find 100 things to say...

10:00 AM  
Blogger chris said...

I'm so envious of all your travels! Your husband does all the cooking??! DEFINITELY a keeper! I love your joke about MENSA. Hmmm, so now I know a bonafide genius whose favorite movie is Dumb and Dumber. Quite a commentary. ;-)

12:09 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home