Thursday, August 18, 2005

Teeny tiny baby feet


Here are some of my newest creations for those teeny tiny little feet (that woke me up at 6 am this morning and didn't go back to sleep for over an hour, at which point I was wide awake and thus here I am...). The top pair of "sandals" is from the Debbie Bliss Baby Cashmerino book. I had almost an entire skein left after knitting up the blanket, so I decided to see if I had enough for these, too. I did - yay! Now I just need to sew the buttons on the straps and wait for Owen's feet to grow enough to fit into them. By that point, he'll probably be old enough that he just kicks them off right away anyway. Oh, well, it was all about the process, right?

The other pair of baby socks was from the summer Interweave Knits. As you can see, I still need to weave the ends in. I knit these up pretty quickly during our recent trip to Minnesota since we had several hours in the car. I was pleasantly surprised at my ability to knit in the car without getting sick - I have to make my husband pull over every time I need to read a map, but apparently knitting doesn't use the same receptors or something.


So, I loved making that first pair of tiny purple socks so much, I decided I'd do another with the second half of the yarn hank. The pattern said that each hank should make three pairs of socks. Mistake one - I used a different yarn than the one they used for the pattern. Same weight, but different yarn. Mistake two - I skipped the swatch. Yes, I know, I know, bad Chrissy. I generally knit tighter than the average bear, so I usually have to go up a couple needle sizes. The LYS didn't have the size 0 needles that the pattern called for, so I bought the size 2 that they did have and figured that would be good enough. Besides, his feet are only going to get bigger, right? So, now I am left with the teeny tiny ball of yarn that you can see in the picture. Who wants to place bets - will I make it through the rest of the 2nd sock with the yarn I have left? I think that I'm going to try, just for the hell of it. But, I don't think I'm going to make it... It's all about the process, right? Right.

Okay, obligatory cute baby pic for the family folks who are reading this and don't care much about my knitting problems... We tried to get him to smile for this but could only get this deer-in-the-headlights look out of him. We still think he's pretty darn cute.

1 Comments:

Blogger Karen said...

Hi Chrissy, Smile or not, that baby couldn't get much cuter!!! It must be so fun to make little things for little ones!! I have car sick/ knitting experience - I too can not read in the car. I've found if traffic moves fine with no stop and go (and no need to look at written pattern instructions) knitting in the car does not cause sickness. But if it's stop and go traffic, prepare for the queazys!!

12:49 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home