Sunday, December 27, 2009

New family members!

We've managed to increase our family by 4 over the past couple of weeks! Both Sydney and I requested new pets for Xmas, and Santa came through (with a couple extras thrown in for good measure).

First we added Hot Rod and Cupcake (thank you, Owen & Sydney, for the great names):



This brother-and-sister pair were dumped in the yard of someone who works at our vet's office. We discovered them there when we took Kika in for her checkup (Kika is NOT at all pleased with her new friends - she's spent the past week hiding from them in the basement even though they're not the least bit interested in her, poor girl!). They're delightful kitties and quite patient with being lugged around by the kids.

Today I got my present in the form of two lovely bunnies who are now keeping me company in my office. I present to you...Bella and Cocoa Puff! (Bill wants to change Cocoa Puff's name to Edward, but I'm not convinced we need a Bunnicula on our hands.)



These lovely buns came from the Humane Society and are my new BFFs. The kids are quite enamored with them, too, although they're not allowed to pick up the bunnies like they are the kitties... Bill was kind enough to put a lock on the outside of my office door so we won't have any issues with kiddos letting the bunnies out when I'm not looking!

My next task is to bunny-proof the office so I can let them hop around while I'm in here working. Even though they're on the small side for rabbits (around 4 lbs each), we're realizing that the cage we've got for them is way too small so they'll need to get out during the day.

Now that the holiday excitement is over, I've got to hustle my rump getting ready for TNNA. We leave next Wednesday - yikes!

Besides the bunnies, I got the book Baking With Julia Child and the complete Battlestar Galactica series on DVD for Xmas - exactly what I wanted. I hope you all had a wonderful holiday!

5 Comments:

Blogger pdxknitterati/MicheleLB said...

That's a huge increase in family members in a short time. Sweet. Merry Christmas!

8:20 PM  
Blogger Geek Knitter said...

Hot Rod... now THAT is an awesome name for a kitten!

5:45 AM  
Blogger Sandra Singh said...

Congrats on the new kitties and bunnies, all four look very sweet. Just watch out, kitties are natural bunny predators!

8:24 AM  
Blogger knittinmom said...

Thanks for the tip, Sandra! I'm not planning to ever leave them together unsupervised, but at the current time, I'm not too worried since the bunnies are about 3x bigger than the kitties!

8:52 AM  
Blogger Yarnhog said...

I had an angora rabbit and a cat who were best friends. They didn't start out that way (the kitten used to lie in wait on the bed until the rabbit hopped by and then jump onto her back and ride her like a bucking bronco). Eventually they called a truce so they could both sit in my lap at the same time. The rabbit would lie on her back in my arms and the cat would lie on the rabbit so they were belly to belly and I could pet them both at once. They would fall asleep like that!

9:59 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home