Monday, November 09, 2009

Yeeaaarrrrggggghhhh!

I've got two kids who are on the tail end of being sick. They're still sick enough that we kept them home from school but not sick enough to slow down at all. Therefore, I've got two hyped-up crabby kids that have all this pent-up energy from being stuck in the house, constantly told to "take it easy" for the past week.

It's enough to drive even the most level-headed of moms completely nuts, and I most definitely am not the most level-headed of moms.

Fortunately Bill has been willing to tag-team, but he has the basement office with the door that locks (and clients who have to be called during business hours). I have no such escape. My office door closes, but I really need to install a lock on the inside because a closed door barely slows anyone in this family down.

Owen is driving us crazy taking food that he insists he wants, and then refuses to eat. Two seconds later, he's back, asking for something else.

Sydney has the personality of a wet cat, insists on stretching out across most of the couch and then throws a hissy fit when her brother dares take up more than the little corner where her stretched-out legs don't reach.

It's a good thing there's such a strong biological urge to love and protect your offspring, because otherwise these two would be at the bus station. I don't know how you homeschooling moms do it! Of course, life would be easier if we could actually be out doing things as opposed to staying at home, feeling crummy... I can't wait for this bug to pass.

I've been assuming that the kids have the swine flu. High fever, cough, sore throat... It has been making the rounds here in Portland. The vaccine is impossible to get, and if the kids have already gotten the bug, that's one less dose that could go to someone who's at high risk from complications. Of course, it's impossible to know because the kids haven't been sick enough to take to the doctor, so they haven't been tested. It's amazing how much more quickly Owen recovered than Sydney - we figure it must be due to the fact that he eats about 25 servings of fruits and veggies a day (okay, maybe not 25, but the kid eats a heckuva lot of fruit!).

While the kids recover, I've been doing some swatching for various project submissions. I've been out of the loop for so long (yeah, a month is a long time for me) that it's hard to get back into the habit of knitting several hours a day. Swatches that would normally take me a couple hours to knock out are taking multiple days. But they're getting done, and they're looking quite lovely. I'm taking my sweet time, but I am indeed climbing back into that saddle!

3 Comments:

Blogger greetingarts said...

I hope your kiddos are back to school by tomorrow, I know how it can feel as if you want to tear your (or their!) hair out at times.

Glad to hear you're back in the designing and swatching saddle again, I'm going to do a show and tell on your Toe Up! book at my next guild meeting.

Take it easy, and stay away from the germs!

3:44 PM  
Anonymous Rebecca said...

As my grandmother used to say (when I had wee ones) , "You just do what you have to do"....period...end of story. She used to think my generation was one that grumbled about housework/raising kids and hers was the one that just did it. In some respects I think she was correct. As for you, HANG IN THERE! It is tough when they are sick and crabby.

And, you do know that one of the advantages of having sick kids home when you homeschool is that they still have to do some school.....at least mine did...that kept things a little more sane....albeit they were educational t.v. shows..LOL

I'm knitting your Snowflake Socks right now and LOVING them! Thanks for designing such a wonderful pattern.

9:47 AM  
Blogger Yarnhog said...

Oh, I'm so sorry! Sick kids are both pathetic and annoying. I hope they'll well and back to school soon.

4:53 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home