Wednesday, September 23, 2009

Millions of pumpkins...

We have a family tradition of throwing our pumpkins off our front porch when they start to get icky after Halloween. We usually get volunteer pumpkin plants in the spring, and this year I was delighted to see what I thought were sugar pumpkin plants growing in the corner of our asparagus bed. I transplanted a few of the shoots around the yard and they went crazy over the summer. Bill just harvested the crop, and I've finally had to admit to myself that what we have are not sugar pumpkins but mini-pumpkins. I guess we now know which tossed pumpkin sprouted in that spot!



I will say that those mini-pumpkin plants produce like you wouldn't believe. We've got about 22 mini-pumpkins lined up on our porch and a few still left on the vine. This is the harvest from 3 individual plants. If only everything was that productive! I will say that the cucumber vines have been crazy this summer - we get several big cucumbers every time we go out to look.

I've also been meaning to share the shoes that Sydney picked out for school this year. Of course they were the one pair we really didn't want her to get (seriously - high-tops?), but ultimately we left it up to her. I think I had something very similar when I was in 7th grade (although mine were Reebok, not Sketchers). Any other children of the late-80s think these look familiar?



Now I'm off to mail a pattern order out, clean (gasp!) the house and decide if I have the motivation to make some zucchini bread or if I'd rather knit. I've got several ideas for the Janurary 2010 pattern release and I've got to get going if they're going to be ready in time.

Those of you who will be at Oregon Flock & Fiber this weekend, be sure to stop by our booth out on the lawn. Keep your fingers crossed for the weather to hold - it sure is nice out right now!

5 Comments:

Blogger Kate said...

I want to grow pumpkins now! That is so neat.

11:41 AM  
Blogger Yarnhog said...

I had pink Reebok high tops in the 80's. (I hated pink, but they were on clearance, so pink it was.)

4:02 PM  
Blogger CraftsMeow said...

My daughter is a child of the 80's and hers were pink L.A. Gear. When her little sister came along in 1988 she had Weeboks.

12:39 AM  
Blogger Melissa said...

I had a sweet pair of L.A. Gears when I was in elementary school. I remember buying packs of those super long, chunky shoelaces that were multi-colored and sparkly to "personalize" my kicks :)

7:26 PM  
Blogger Lindsey said...

Yup. LA Gear white high tops with hot pink and black accents. And *lol* three colored shoelaces in each! Worn with two pairs of socks at a time - each pair a different color- folded down just soo.

Though my favorite shoes as a child were the light pink converse I had when I was 8. I wanted to be Punky Brewster :)

11:25 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home