Sunday, October 18, 2009

Oh, hello! I have a blog!

I am so sorry to be so neglectful. I think about you nearly every day, but the longer I go between postings, the more I feel like I have to come up with something profound to make it worthwhile to the masses who have been waiting with bated breath for my return. Okay, not really, but I do feel bad about never updating this blog. If it makes you feel better, dear blog, I've been ignoring Twitter and Facebook as well.

It's been one of those months, where we've been hit with one thing after another. My father-in-law just got out of the hospital, where he landed for a week with a subdural hematoma after passing out and hitting his head (at least, the doctors think the hematoma was caused by the fall and not the other way around - they don't know for sure). My mother-in-law was semi-stranded in upstate New York where she was visiting her parents and so us kids were on duty until she was able to get home. We were really thankful for our flexible schedules, but it was a stressful week to be sure.

I'm also suffering from my usual fall malaise. I haven't picked up my knitting for a good two weeks now, and I hate to say, it's pretty darn nice. That's what happens when one works 10-hours a day, 7 days a week - eventually, something's gotta give. I am thinking about knitting - I just don't feel like doing it right at the moment. I'll give myself until November, when I'll realize that TNNA is just around the corner and I've got to get my butt in gear if I want to have any new designs. I'm also receiving new yarn in the mail at a rapid pace for the next book, which is eventually going to inspire me to knit something.

In the meantime, I'm chilling out by doing lots of yoga and lots of cooking. A few weeks ago, I went with my knitting group to see Julie & Julia (fabulous movie, BTW), and it totally inspired me to increase my daring in the kitchen. It helps that our CSA is bursting with new and interesting things each week this time of year. I was slightly tempted to recreate the Julie & Julia experiment until I looked through the actual recipes in "Mastering the Art of French Cooking". I'm sorry, but I'm just not going to be eating anything involving calf's brains. Bill probably would, but I don't see the point of learning to cook something that doesn't at least have the potential of being added to our family's menu.

On the other hand, I do have a few cookbooks I'd love to use to branch out a bit on our regular food routines. Alice Waters' The Art of Simple Food is definitely a cookbook I'd like to make my way through. I've started to dabble, and haven't found a loser yet. I made the most incredible strawberry ice cream this summer using her recipe, and her buttermilk pancakes are to die for. I'm also rarely (if ever) disappointed in my all-time favorite cookbook, Feeding the Whole Family by Cynthia Lair. There are plenty of recipes in both these fabulous books to keep me busy for a very long time. My goal is to try something new from each of these cookbooks once a week.

Next up on my list? Making a sourdough starter. I just bought a book on traditional European breads that includes instructions for making a starter with "air yeast" (yeasts and microbes floating on the breeze). I'll let you know how it goes!

And now it's time to go to my in-laws' for sourdough pancakes. The kids haven't seen their grammy in two weeks, and boy are they anxious. I've got a couple other little projects that I'm working on, so I'll try to get back here with some photos before November rolls around. Promise!

3 Comments:

Anonymous Molly said...

Don't discount the whole of Mastering the Art of French Cooking - the stuffed mushrooms (champignon farcis) are the best!

1:27 PM  
Blogger 5elementknitr said...

Artisan Bread in 5 minutes a day is pretty stellar!

9:37 AM  
Blogger Dharmapuppy said...

Don't forget you taught an all day sock knitting class on Saturday. Enjoyed the class... Thanks, Donna

1:32 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home