Friday, March 27, 2009

I think we're having a book, folks!

I've heard the comparison between writing a book and having a baby so many times and I have to admit, there's definitely a kernel of truth there. Writing the manuscript and polishing up the patterns felt like the first and second trimesters. A lot of work put in, but not a lot of certainty about what would come out. With my first book design session behind me, I feel like I've finally entered the third trimester and the end is in sight. Seeing the book format come together was sort of like the big ultrasound that happens around the sixth month (if memory serves...I can't remember the exact timing). It's starting to actually look like a book, and it has sunk in big-time that there's no turning back now!

I am quite delighted to present a couple of sneak peeks here, at long last. Here's our cover:



I'm really quite delighted with it! We also came up with a pattern intro page style (although it's definitely not final, it does give a sampling of the flavor of the inside):



We still need to work on the background color, but I really, really love the photos Gail has taken. It's so much fun to see them in context!

And, last but not least, the logo for my publishing company:



Now I need to get the websites for both Sydwillow Press and the book (toeupsockbook.com) up and running. No rest for the weary! To top it all off, I ended up with a horrible muscle spasm in my left shoulder (a reward for all my hard work on the book on Monday & Tuesday, I guess) that has left me unable to knit and, when it gets really bad, unable to do much of anything! I have so much knitting to do, so I pushed through the pain yesterday and was rewarded at 2:30 am with the inability to find any sort of comfortable position. I got up and read a Dean Koontz book of Bill's for a few hours until I could finally go back to sleep. I've got a renewed sympathy for people who live with chronic pain - it really does take over your life when you can't find relief. I hope it resolves itself soon or I might be looking for a new career!

Now that the whining portion of this broadcast is over, I want to give a heads-up that the blog book tour for my designer friend and author Joanne Seiff is coming here on April 6. Her new book, Fiber Gatherings, is hot off the presses and it is awesome. I've got a baby sweater and hat design in there, which you'll hear all about on the 6th. I've got an extra copy of the book, and I will hold a giveaway contest for it (details on that on the 6th as well). So, before I mention the 6th one more time, come back here on April 6th so you don't miss the fun. I'll try to make it back here before then myself, although my track record does speak for itself! If I don't, I'll see you on the 6th!

6 Comments:

Blogger dustinac said...

Congrats, very exciting and I can't wait to see it!

12:23 PM  
Anonymous akabini said...

Squeeeee!

How fun to see the visuals - indeed, it's like sharing an ultrasound.

Can't wait, can't wait to see it come out.

Mazel tov!

7:00 PM  
Blogger Julie said...

Your book is looking great! I can't wait to see it!

7:02 PM  
Blogger Tammy said...

Seeing the cover of your book and the title, I looked all over for a love button! I can't wait for this book, I think it's what I need to get my toe ups under control.

7:06 PM  
Blogger Melissa said...

How very exciting! Congratulations :) I'm sure it feels great to see your hard work coming to fruition.

9:36 PM  
Blogger Chris said...

I love the extended metaphor and I LOVE the name of your publisher! You are so clever with names, you know.

Thank you again for watching the kids and saving my butt at the last minute with the bowls, spoons, etc., that I forgot for the demo. Let me know when I can return the favor!

5:55 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home