Thursday, February 12, 2009

Knitterly Utopia

So I've been fortunate enough to spend the last week in the intense company of some incredible knitters. Yes, folks, it was Cat Bordhi's Visionary Retreat and once again it was an amazing week. The difference this time is that I think I'm finally going to get a book out of it. I am officially drawing a line in the sand, and that line is that my book will be back from the printer to make its debut at Sock Summit in August.

I met with my book designer for an hour on Monday, and I thought it was promising that he didn't laugh at me when I told him my lofty goal. He was quite helpful in drawing up a plan with me that will enable my boxes of books to be in my dining room by early August. Now I've got some work to do...

I'd been procrastinating on the book project most of the fall, and it was really surprising to me when I sat down to look at everything I've done. I've still got plenty to do but for the most part, I've got a book! It's sort of shocking. My to-do list is drafted, my test knitters and proofreaders have been warned to expect a flurry of activity over the next month, and most importantly, I feel like I'm finally mentally prepared to git 'er done.

Of course, as soon as I say that I have to admit that I haven't done any writing today. Instead a purchased a block of ISBN numbers, registered the fictitious business name statement for my publishing company (Sydwillow Press), rented a PO box and sent a skein of Blue Moon Seduction off to my patient sample knitter for one of the remaining designs. One of the issues keeping me from book work is this pesky pattern business I'm trying to run! I've got two projects that needed my post-editing review, a couple orders to ship out and some other miscellaneous busywork. In fact, I should be getting that second pattern reviewed instead of blogging...

I know I promised a review of the Addi Clicks, but that's going to have to wait until next time. I've got a book to finish, folks!

6 Comments:

Blogger Angela said...

Congratulations! Can't wait to see it.

7:18 PM  
Blogger Carol said...

I am so excited for you. Can't wait to see the finished end....

2:32 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You sound so definitive!
Here's to staying on a roll after an amazing week.
Keep on it, but do please blog occasionally to let us know how it's progressing.
Your readers want to know!

6:31 AM  
Blogger Chris said...

How thrilling!

And I saw today that you're teaching toe-up socks in Hood River next month. Wish I could be there...I'm teaching the same day.

7:22 PM  
Blogger Brittney Corrigan said...

Love the name of your press! Very sneaky getting all your love ones in there! :)

4:04 PM  
Blogger msubulldog said...

Okay, Sydwillow is SO clever! :)

3:39 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home