Saturday, January 24, 2009

Naniboujou at Naniboujou!

I've been meaning to share these pics for awhile but it's hard to fit everything in when you only blog twice a month. Therefore, in keeping with my New Year's resolution to blog more, I've decided not to wait until weeks have passed before posting again.

My mom & step-dad visited Naniboujou Lodge over New Year's and Mark was kind enough to e-mail me these pictures of Mom modeling the socks (the very same socks pictured in Knitty) at their namesake lodge.



Don't you love that giant fireplace? Here's a great view of the incredible dining room ceiling:



And here's the beachfront that the lodge faces:



Isn't it delightfully grey and gloomy? I love the beach in the wintertime with the big dark waves and icy rocks. No sunbathing on that vacation, I'm sure! It has been such a delight to get so many e-mails from people who have a connection to Naniboujou Lodge. Mom showed the owners the pattern during their visit and they seemed quite delighted even though they are not knitters. If you ever have a reason to vacation in northern MN, it's a great place to stay!

I'm currently in the midst of a frenzy of pattern printing, editing, e-mailing, re-photographing and website updating. I know I promised to give some sneak peeks of the newest designs, so here are a few of my favorites.

From new GYW designer Leila Wice, these are Fancy Pants, modeled by the way-too-adorable Imogene.



This shot was SO cute it made the cover of our new catalog. We also started distributing a new line of felted crochet patterns from designer Sharon Braden who lives south of Portland. She's got four different animals, but I have to say the sheep is my favorite.



(You can also make it in black.)



Most of the new designs for this go-round were done by others since I was busy working on socks for the book and, let's face it, slacking off. I did manage to get a couple things into the pattern line. First for baby, the Entrelac Baby Sacque (thanks to my tech editor Amy for suggesting I spell "sacque" en francais):



This is a design I've had in my head for a couple of years but never got around to putting it down in yarn. After my obsession with the Garterlac Dishcloth, I decided to finally get off my duff and just do it already. It was, of course, pretty darn fast since babies are nice and compact.

The second design is one I started working on in the airport on the way home from TNNA in Columbus last June. I finished it and it sat on my office shelf (and sat, and sat) until I finally decided to just write it up (it took all of about half an hour - what was I waiting for?). I named it "Snow Day" since it was formatted right around the time we had our massive snowstorm. Unfortunately I didn't get around to photographing it in the snow - maybe next year because we're NOT going to have any more snow in Portland this year, right?



And now it's back to work with me. I'll let you know when I get the website updated with ALL the designs and a few new shops. I'll get it done one of these days, really!

6 Comments:

Blogger Carol said...

Oh, that fireplace looks so inviting...just sit and knit...
Love, Love your hat and mitts

3:54 PM  
Blogger Connie said...

The new designs (both yours and other GYW designers) look great, Chrissy! You've been busy :)

4:50 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Makes me want to say "Entre-Sacque!"

And I have to confess that I spent the better part of a minute trying to figure out what kind of knitting acronym "NaNiBouJou" could be!

(I got as far as "National Ninja..." and gave up.)

I, for one, can chime in as one who is not related to you (neither by blood nor marriage) who reads and enjoys every entry - I know it's an effort - keep it up!

7:27 PM  
Blogger pdxknitterati/MicheleLB said...

Did you notice the flurries today?

;-)

7:48 PM  
Blogger Brittney Corrigan said...

LOVE the pic of Imogen (no last e, btw). She can be your model anytime!

2:28 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You have made me very homesick for the Naniboujou -- I've stayed in summer and winter. Much prefer the old "servants" rooms to the fancier ones. What a delightful place. And, I MUST make those socks -- they are so perfect...

Welcome to Portland and yes, the snow gods do visit and the town stands still.

3:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home