Sunday, November 04, 2007

Look what's in the kitchen!



On nice days, the kids have free access to the backyard, and the chickens free-range out there. Often the back door gets left open as everyone goes in and out. Today, I was sitting at the dining room table, working on my computer, and I heard suspiciously loud clucking. Yup - chicken in the kitchen! She was totally excited about the new source of crumbs. Fortunately we noticed her before she was able to make a big mess, although sometimes I wonder if it wouldn't be worth a little bit of chicken poo to get the kitchen floor pecked clean... I'm not quite to that point just yet.

So, yesterday I promised you new pattern releases. I had two new published patterns come out in the past week - the first were my Tilting Cables Socks in the Winter Interweave Knits. I think I already mentioned my disappointment in the pictures. They're a little bit better in the print mag because they're bigger, but the yarn still obscures the pattern. I also got an e-mail this morning pointing out a major error in the ribbing instructions but haven't had a chance to check it out yet. I'll keep you posted.

The second pattern was published in Designer One-Skein Wonders from Storey Publishing. It's called the Cabled Baglet and is worked up in Lorna's Laces Shepherd Sport. I'm also going to offer this as a single pattern in my line since this was an instance of the publisher being respectful of the designer and allowing me to retain full rights to the pattern. It seems like there are many people who want single patterns rather than entire books, so I'll let them buy the pattern for $3 if they don't want to pay an additional $15 to get 100 other patterns (if they like the other patterns, it would definitely be worthwhile to buy the book, but if they don't, then it's not). It is certainly nice to give folks options!

I've also been very busy working on my website this weekend. Go check it out! Make sure to refresh if you've been there lately so that you clear your cache and see the newest pages. Since I'm no longer selling patterns via Zencart, I set up individual pattern pages and a catalog with thumbnails. This should be much faster to navigate than it was in Zencart. I also added a "classes & events" page and a new option to sign up for a Constant Contact newsletter from the main page instead of making people create an account in Zencart to get on the mailing list. Finally, the Plush Footies pattern is linked directly - again, people no longer have to create an account to get the pattern.

I also just recently became aware that Spun Mag is no more. The website appears to have expired, and the Cleo Clutch pattern instructions went along with it. I am working to get this pattern formatted into a pdf and will make it available as soon as I can. If you're dying to get your hands on it, sign up for the newsletter!

Now I'm back to work on reworking my Zencart so that shops can use it to order patterns at wholesale. It's a good thing I was a software developer in my former life - I can't imagine trying to do all this without knowing a thing or two about coding!

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Those look like really useful and nice books. Which one are you in? I wasn't sure.

7:27 PM  
Blogger Connie said...

Your posting every day is a treat! :)

Congrats on the two pattern releases and for having a pattern leaflet to sell with one of them. I need to get my butt in gear and do that too! But the process of putting together a leaflet/self published pdf seems so daunting!!

5:01 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home