Wednesday, July 05, 2006

So that's what it's for!



And here I thought my laptop was for surfing the 'net. I wasn't quite fast enough to get a picture of him when he first got up there and was dancing on it...

This kid has no fear. He is constantly climbing on things, standing on tables, etc. This morning we were at the park, and he scrambled up the playstructure and was running around on the highest platform (scaring the bejeezus out of me). Sydney has always been cautious - she's just now getting to the point where she'll go down slides by herself and climb up to the top of the play structure without screaming at me that I need to hold her hand. Not Owen - he just clambers right up there, no fear at all. I'm afraid. It's a good thing we're well-insured...

I don't have any new knitting to talk about. Still working away on the 2nd Y2Knit design. So, nothing to see here. I did want to tell all you parents about an amazing book I've been reading called Hold On To Your Kids. It is all about how in our current culture, kids above a certain age tend to be peer-oriented rather than adult-oriented, and this is what is causing all the problems our society is having with drug-use, promiscuity, violence/aggressiveness and just a general lack of discipline. The theory is that all humans, and children especially, have a very strong drive to form attachments. The idea is that they will attach to their parents, and the parents will act as guides and teachers for them until they are mature enough to function on their own. However, in our current obsession with raising independent, self-sufficient kids (and also the time-crunch that most parents are under, along with all the things that are trying to separate kids and parents), we're really turning their attachment drive from their parents to each other. So basically kids end up parenting each other, with less-than-ideal results.

It's an extremely interesting, eye-opening book and I'd recommend it to any parent, regardless of what your current parenting philosophy is, if you're interested in looking at new ways to keep your kid from getting into trouble when they enter those challenging teen years.

Okay, I was going to talk some more, this time about the new Al Gore movie An Inconvenient Truth, but the boy just woke up so you're spared.

Stay tuned for details on Sock-A-Month 2! Anyone up for making some buttons?

11 Comments:

Blogger Chrissy said...

I've heard some good things about that movie. I'd love to hear your thoughts on it. Oh, I'd be up for Sock-A-Month 2!

8:53 PM  
Blogger Zonda said...

I'm up for SAM2...uh..sorry not good with buttons! Hope your laptop is fine! ;) Them fearless boys! hehe!

6:18 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sounds like a great read- and another reason to homeschool! ;)

6:19 AM  
Blogger Charity said...

Boy, oh boy! I found out after my son was born how totally different boys are than girls. I read once that the risk of danger to their person will generally keep a girl from doing something, but with a boy it just doesn't carry any weight. Seems to be true in my household! When my little guy was Owen's age, he climbed his change table and leaped off. That sounds like an interesting book - I'll look for it. :-)

8:49 AM  
Blogger LavenderSheep said...

Your kids sound like my brother and I. I was always cautious. My brother on the other hand rode a bicycle without training wheels at the age of 2. I'm up for SAM2!

10:06 AM  
Blogger Jen said...

Wow, I haven't been paying attention or something because when did Owen get so big? Hopefully he doesn't weight that much because I just know that if I did something like that, the laptop would have been crushed. Thank goodness he's so darned cute!

11:46 AM  
Blogger cpurl17 said...

Owen's a cutie and put's a whole new spin on surfin' the web!

Looking forward to SAM 2!!

4:32 PM  
Blogger Desperate Housewife said...

My two year hasn't danced on my laptop, because he can't get up on the table by himself. But he likes to whack the keyboard very hard.

4:23 AM  
Blogger Ragan said...

Wow, a "lap"top dancer. Tee-hee. My little guy is getting better at treating the computer with care. He was a keyboard banger for sure. He has finally stopped doing that, with the carrot being playing on the playhouse disney site. Thank you for the book suggestion!
Oh yes, and I FINISHED my orange socks! Yipee! So, now I have a pair for July. Woo-hoo! Ok, if I have free time today...I can work on a button.

5:02 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

LOL Yes, I definitely think there is something about boys. My daughter, now 16, really wasn't a climber. But, my little guy, now 17 mos, tries to get as high as he can on whatever he can. One morning, he woke up before me and I found him sitting on top of the keyboard on my desk. He couldn't get down, hence the reason I woke up. Now, I have to keep the bedroom doors shut at night.

3:34 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Having taught high school for ten years the books premise sounds pretty well no target. The high school kids that are doing OK have great connections with their families. The kids in danger do not.

I have taught about 1000 kids, and I have never had a kid in trouble, then met the parent, and not had a really good picture of why.

On a happier note…Owen looks adorable.

Our second daughter was also a climber. We came really close to having to put a top on her crib…she used to climb up the kitchen drawers and stand on the counters to try to get into the cabinets. This was at 11 months. Then all the sudden her brain caught up…you could see her think, “hmmm, I seem to remember falling the last 67 times I did this, perhaps not this time”.

She’s still adventurous, but it is much easier now that she can self regulate a bit.

6:25 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home