Tuesday, August 16, 2005

Some of my latest creations


Ah, socks. If you can believe it, this was my first pair of socks. They were always so intimidating (all those needles), but then I saw these made on an episode of DIY's Knitty Gritty (great show, if you've never seen it - they make some really cute stuff and I've got a few other things in progress that I got from the show). After seeing how they were done, I thought, "I can do that". And I did! They were pretty darn easy, actually, and they're knit in Berroco Pleasure which I absolutely loved working with except for the fact that it made my nose really itchy. Good thing these will be on my feet! My husband likes them so much that he's been pestering me for a pair. Ironically, I knit these heavy things on some of the hottest days of summer.

    Here is another one of my latest knit creations - an entrelac baby shawl for my son. It's from a Debbie Bliss pattern and knitted in Baby Cashmerino. I loved the yarn in the skein, but I'm not so crazy about it knitted up - the blanket is gorgeous but really heavy and not nearly as soft as I thought it was going to be. Oh, well. That's my fault for getting all excited, buying all the yarn at once, and knitting the thing without making the dreaded swatch. I could've saved myself $70 in yarn! Oh, well. It was fun to learn entrelac and it's a good piece to show off with. I don't see my son dragging this around as his banky for the next four years, however...

    Well, I have two sick, cranky kids today so I'm not sure how much knitting will be done. They both came down with fevers yesterday afternoon - god only knows what they picked up. The only good thing about it is they both sleep more than usual when sick. This is the first high fever that the baby has had, and it of course makes me a little nervous, but he seems to be doing fine. The girl has had a gazillion fevers, most for no apparent reason. I'm sure we'll be seeing even more of them when she starts preschool in the fall and drags home everything under the sun. I just keep telling myself that what doesn't kill them only makes them stronger!

    Now, time for breakfast and some Blue's Clues...

    1 Comments:

    Blogger Jen said...

    I think your entrelac blanket is beautiful, though I don't have the benefit of actually holding it to see how hefty a blanket it actually is. Perhaps it would make for a nice lap throw for watching TV instead?

    4:49 PM  

    Post a Comment

    << Home