Thursday, April 26, 2007

It's a beautiful morning!

And it's not just because I see blue sky out my window... I got to make coffee in my kitchen for the first time in two weeks!



Check out that sink! That faucet! Those countertops! I am in love.

What once was a bare wall is now this:



And just so the stove doesn't feel left out, here's our third wall (yes, our kitchen basically has three walls - don't ask!):



Quite a difference from the original, eh?



Now, to get my act together and pack for Sea Socks! I've got to get my new circular needle case organized, and figure out how much knitting I can possibly do in five days on the cruise. Always better to bring too much, right? Although I will be getting new yarn on the boat. And we'll be visiting a yarn shop in San Francisco. I should be okay (pause for a few deep breaths).

In other news, how is everyone doing on National TV Turn-off Week? We are not doing all that well, but it has made us more aware for sure. It's rough trying to go cold turkey when everyone's sick and stressed out and doesn't want to do anything but sit in front of the idiot box. I have made a couple small steps - first, I put a couple of books in strategic places around the house so I can pick one up and start reading every time I feel like I need to turn on a show (this has been particularly effective on my bedside table - I read for half an hour before bed instead of watching something stupid and I've found it much easier to get to sleep). I've also set a radio up in the living room and have NPR on all day so I have something to stimulate the brain while knitting.

And finally, in a baby step towards getting rid of our 200-channel line-up, I canceled our premium movie channels. We've got Netflix - why do we need to pay an extra $30 a month for HBO & Starz? We couldn't quite take the ultimate step and pare down to the basic DirecTV package (mainly because we can't stand the thought of losing our TiVO service and don't want to buy a new box - DirecTV forces you to have their Plus package if you want TiVO, although if you ask Bill it's because he doesn't want to give up TBS, USA and ESPN). Baby steps! Baby steps to the remote, baby steps push the off button, baby steps pick up a book and read instead...

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Pretty kitchen!

12:35 PM  
Blogger Diane said...

Baby steps indeed. I got a call from the local phone company who is offering a new TV service in my town. "5 billion channels, everything on demand, you'll wonder how you've lived without it, etc". No thanks. I have enough trouble finding something worth watching on the 70 channels I have now. lol

5:21 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm in love with your countertops!

I'm with Diane, no matter how many channels you have, there still isn't much worth watching!

7:36 PM  
Blogger Zonda said...

It is looking great!! I am so in love with that sink too!! One day I shall have one! I really like the white/black/stainless steel look too! Have fun on your cruise!

7:52 PM  
Blogger Carol said...

I LOVE your sink.
We just got a new stove and I tell you I just love it. Our old one , well you were lucky if you could get one burner to work right. Rather fun during the holidays when we were trying to get a Thanksgiving dinner together.
I know what you mean with the tv. We have direct tv and can never find anything on. I basically watch the same thing weekly. Hubby loves the science channel and I just watch whatever while I knit.
Your cruise sounds fun. Have a nice time.

6:36 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Congratulations on all accounts. The kitchen looks great!

We are strong believers in "very little TV" at our house and I think our kids have really benefited from it. I may have mentioned to you that we don't even have cable - at all!

Baby steps are the best kind! They will get you were you want to go.

Missed you last night. You missed an incredible dinner!

8:47 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home