Wednesday, April 25, 2007

Holy heck!

I've started answering my phone "Crazy House, proprietor speaking". In a twisted case of be careful what you wish for, I was rewarded today for my fond rememberance of our chickens in their little peep days by a box of 40 baby chicks.



That's right - 40 baby chicks arrived in the mail today, unordered, unexpected and completely unprepared for. Somebody upstairs is rolling on the floor, laughing hysterically at me right now. They sure are cute, but what a great way to throw someone into a complete panic! Fortunately, my wonderful in-laws came to my rescue and crisis has been averted.

The poor little peepers had obviously been in the box for awhile, so I immediately set up a makeshift brooder in a gigantic cardboard box. We didn't have any brooder supplies that weren't already in use, so I stuck dishes of food and water in for them that they immediately swarmed (there were at least three chicks standing in the water dish whenever I peeked in at them). I didn't have another heat lamp, so I filled up Ziploc bags with hot water and threw them in as makeshift hot water bottles. Then, I set about making some phone calls to figure out what the HECK was going on.

Fact is, nobody knows why I got 40 chicks in the mail. I first called My Pet Chicken, since they're the only place I've given my name and address to in relation to chickens. They didn't know what was going on, but they recognized the name in the package's return address as another mail-order chicken place that uses the same hatchery. She did give me some very good advice, namely to call a feed store and see if they'd accept extra babies. Apparently she had the same thing happen to her not so long ago. Obviously, the hatcheries need to get their act together somewhat.

Next, I called the non-My Pet Chicken related place that apparently sent me the box. They had no record of my name or order number in their system. They said they'd call the hatchery, but there wasn't much they could do other than tell me not to try to send the chicks back because they wouldn't survive the trip. We had one casualty in this box, which isn't bad when considering the sheer volume of chicks in the box. And I thought three chicks peeping were loud! These guys were deafening.

After another check on the chickies, I consulted with my in-laws who had come to my rescue. They've been talking about getting chickens for years, so they picked their favorite ten out of the batch. There was no information in the box as to what breeds the chickies were or if they were sexed (all girls) or straight-run (50-50). Then, my father-in-law and I drove out to Linnton Feed & Seed, where the wonderful folks who run the place came to my rescue and took the remaining chicks. I am hoping that they'll be able to nurse the weaklings back to health and find happy homes for all of them.

Fortune smiled on me and the baby chicks today. I happened to be looking out the front window when the mailman arrived, so I was able to take the box in right away. I can't imagine if we'd have been gone all day - it's not exactly warm out. The only thing worse than 40 unexpected chicks on your front porch is 40 unexpected dead chicks on your front porch.

I'm not sure what's going on with the universe these days, but boy do I hope it straightens itself out very soon! I will admit, though, that when I got past the stress of figuring out what to do with 40 chickens, it was nice to have little peepers in my office again!

11 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Way to go Chrissy!!!! Sounds like you handled the crisis just fine. Too bad I don't live close by or I too would have gladly come to the rescue, since I am still contemplating chickens. What is holding me back is that my DH spent all last summer and so far a couple weekends making our back yard look so nice. We used to have an above ground pool (now we don't). I just feel badly about taking a portion of the beautiful yard he has created and turning it into a chicken pen. We shall see.

Good thing you have that candle and Peppermint to make room spray.

Have Fun on your Cruise. There is a fall one set for here on the east coast. I might just have to consider it.

Your KF/SP

5:47 PM  
Blogger Yarnhog said...

Okay--now that I've picked myself up off the floor and wiped the tears of laughter off my face: there is just no set of circumstances in which having a box of 40 chickens end up on your doorstep unexpectedly could be considered reasonable. That is madness! I guess you should be grateful it wasn't, like, water buffalos. I am relieved, on your behalf, that they were at least live chickens!

7:11 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I know I shouldn't laugh but that is hilarious!! Thank God you already had ordered some chicks so you knew what to do with them. If they came to me I would have no idea what to do and I'm terrified of birds so it would not be a pretty site!

I got my BMFA Rockin Sock Club package today and I have to say I LOVE the pattern. I can't wait to finish the last shipment so I can start these. I love that I actually can say I know the designer and have talked to her in person. :)

8:36 PM  
Blogger Acornbud said...

Holy heck indeed! They are cute little things. Glad you were able to find places for them. I guess the chicken fairy got lost.

8:37 PM  
Blogger Emily said...

What baffles me is that they actually mail out chickens??? That's one thing that's not possible over here. I don't think you are allowed to send things that are alive - maybe except for plants - through our mail system.

We need some chickens again as we have been without them for a few months now and I hate having to throw my leftovers in my bin.

I'm happy you found homes for them!

Greets from Belgium!

12:45 AM  
Blogger Carol said...

Holy cow, I would not have none what to do with all the chickens. At least they ended up on your doorstep and found good homes.

7:13 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I swear I didn't do it!! What a good rescue, though.

9:36 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

It seems your chicken luck has turned, chicky! mwahahaha!
Sorry to laugh, but wow, that's ironic.

12:31 PM  
Blogger msubulldog said...

Oh, holy crap--that's so freakin' funny! But only since it turned out okay. A box of 40 dead chicks would not have been cool.
I'm glad you were able to find them homes (can you imagine what Brian would have done if I had to help you out and brought home chickies for our backyard? Heh!).
What an ordeal. Consider yourself the superwoman award recipient this week! :)

3:00 PM  
Blogger YarnThing said...

Holy Chickletes Batman!

Marly
knitthing.blogspot.com
knitthing.mypodcast.com

4:55 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hahahahaha! sorry, I can't stop laughing, from the way you've decided to answer your phone (which is brilliant, by the way) to the end of the post! I'm wondering if someone would make a similar mistake, send me a bunch of yarn I didn't order, and forget who sent it?

5:58 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home