Monday, January 12, 2009


Wow, has it really been 10 days? I have been in a TNNA-prep frenzy the past couple of weeks. I'm such a procrastinator that it only seems I can get things done when I have a deadline looming. Despite the odds, I think I've managed to pull it off yet again. Of course, I still have a couple patterns to format and get to the test knitters and tech editors, but those are just minor details, right? I've got the catalog done, the order forms back from the printer and all the samples but one, ready to travel to San Diego. I've got 100 copies of the catalog to staple and a few minor little signs and doo-dads to format and print up before we leave, but I'm feeling pretty good in general. Tomorrow will be all about baking up the road snacks.

My eating whole foods kick is still going strong. For the road, I've already made a pan of chocolate chip granola bars, and I've got a big pot of cooked quinoa on the stove with which I will make lemon-garlic quinoa salad (some to take with and some to leave here to feed the refugees/family) and quinoa herb bread. I'm planning to make some chocolate chip peanut butter oatmeal cookies, a big batch of granola for the kids to eat while I'm gone, some crackers and hummus, and some black bean brownies. We'll see if I manage to get it all done...

We've had some sad news and some happy news here at the Gardiner house. The sad news is that my grandfather passed away two days ago from pneumonia. He has been suffering from Parkinson's and in a nursing home for the past 10 years, so his passing was not unexpected and it was certainly his time. My mom, aunt and uncle were all there with him, although he suffers from dementia and may not have known who they were. I'm very sad that I can't make it home for the funeral, but of course it's being held this weekend, the one weekend this month (or last, or next) that I absolutely can't make it. I will be with him and my family in thought and spirit, though, for sure.

On to the happy news...

Yup, Sydney lost her first tooth! It was quite the event - she was eating a pear and it just popped right out. I was worried at first that she'd swallowed it because we had some trouble finding it (but no worries - it was in her lap and the tooth fairy very generously left her $1 in quarters as a reward). I can't believe that my baby girl is old enough to be getting her grown-up teeth!

I also tried to get some shots of Sydney in her new Little Cable Hoodie that she got for Christmas. This is what passes for posing nicely in our house...

It's time for me to get back to my packing and stapling, but rest assured that new designs are forthcoming and I'll let you know when I get a chance to update the website with them. You never could happen tomorrow (or it could be 3 weeks from now)!


Blogger Carol said...

My thoughts are with you on your Grandfather passing...always sad when someone leaves us.
I can't believe how big the kids have gotten...

2:38 AM  
Blogger Katrina said...

I'm sorry to hear about your grandfather. Expected or not, the loss is still there. My thoughts are with you and your family.

Congratulations to Sydney for losing her first tooth! My Girlie couldn't wait to start losing teeth, because all of her friends lost a tooth before her. If only all milestones could be as easy as this one.

Finally, have a great trip to TNNA. I predict great success for you. Can't wait to hear all about it when you get back.

8:35 AM  
Blogger Hello, I'm Sally. said...

Sorry about your grandpa, mine just passed away recently, such mixed feelings of sadness and happy memories.

You are tantleizing me with your goodies, I want recipes! Seriously, I'm on the search for a granola bar recipe that isn't too sweet and that my kids will eat. Haven't had any luck. I think the only thing that Wren will eat comes out of a package, the stinker.

Have fun on your trip.

9:47 AM  
Blogger Chris said...

So sorry to hear about your grandfather, Chrissy. Keeping you in my thoughts.

I finally made the quinoa salad, thanks to your constant raving. It was amazing! I cooked the quinoa and dressed it yesterday around lunch time, planning to add the vegetable today during my first LAK class. Annabel and I munch on the cooked quinoa with just the dressing and it was delicious. The class loved it today, too.

5:21 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home