Monday, December 01, 2008

Come make cheese with me!

My fabulous homemaking homeschooling goddess of a friend Chris (who got me back into baking bread with her extremely helpful class in early October) has officially started her cooking school, Lost Arts Kitchen. She said that my blog post about the bread class inspired her business name (!) and I think it's perfect (and not just because I helped with the phrase "lost arts"). Go check out her classes page and if you're in the area (and looking to learn how to make some fabulous, healthy, home-cooked food while minimizing kitchen hassle), take a class or two and help get this fledgling business off the ground.

I'm taking the cheesemaking class on January 23 - wanna join me? I missed out on the "practice" session that she gave for friends because my mom had just arrived in town. I definitely need to figure out how to master mozarella so I can't wait to be a real student.

In the more immediate future, I'm trying to figure out what to do with my new (used) food dehydrator. First thing on the agenda is persimmons, since my in-laws have two extremely productive Fuyu persimmon trees in their backyard and I'd love to figure out how to dry them or do whatever else needs to be done in order to make use of this free fruit bounty. I also ordered another 20 lbs of Jonagold apples because we just can't get enough of them. I don't think I'm going to make any more applesauce (well, never say never...), but I'm definitely planning to dry a bunch for the kids' lunches and maybe try my hand at fruit leather.

I also need to figure out how to squeeze in some designing in the midst of all this kitchen time. I was supposed to go to Montana this weekend to hang out with my friend Janet and pick her brain about self-publishing, but I haven't made enough progress on my book to make it worthwhile. My main goal now is to have it out in time for Sock Summit. Think I can do it? My problem right now is I just don't feel like working. And I don't always do well without someone breathing down my neck. I'm hoping that taking a break and crocheting a bunch of presents for the kids for Christmas will help reinspire me. I've got a few patterns done that just need to be written up, and I've also got a couple new designers on board whose patterns I need to get formatted and ready for TNNA in January.

My goal is to do nothing but work this weekend (since I would've been in Montana anyway), but we'll see how that shakes out. I really need to find a good, quiet place to hang out that has free wi-fi. Unfortunately, the dining room only meets one of those two criteria...

4 Comments:

Blogger Janet Szabo said...

I share your pain. Being a cheese maker sounds like more fun than being a knitting designer right now. I know you'll get back over here eventually.

4:18 AM  
Blogger Amy said...

I'll breathe down your neck if you want (oh, that sounded odd)! Get to work, woman! :)

10:10 AM  
Blogger Chris said...

Thanks for mention my cooking classes, Chrissy! I just have to say, watching you start up your design business has been inspiring for me--thank you for that, too.

1:05 PM  
Blogger LavenderSheep said...

I just got a dehydrator because my mom got one. The things I love the most that she has done so far are pears and mushrooms. I want to try my hand at making homemade beef jerky. It makes a great low fat, high protein snack that hopefully will have less salt when it is homemade.

8:31 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home