Wednesday, December 19, 2007

What's that? Knitting?

And a little bit of crocheting! I finally remembered to bring my camera to the shop, so I've got some pictures of samples I've worked up (and a couple of Xmas presents that are almost ready).

First up, the Knitting Needle Bag from Bag Style:



This is made out of RYC Cashsoft Chunky and uses the awesome polka-dotted Artviva needles. As soon as I saw this bag design, I knew it needed to be made with these needles...

Next, the Sand Dollar Pullover from Knitting Nature by Nora Gaughan along with the tam-whose-name-I-can't-remember, also from that book:



These are made from Fleece Artist Scotian Silk (wool & silk blend). Here's a close-up of the top of the tam:



All of the above items can be found at Dublin Bay (in-person or on-line)!

My personal Xmas knitting has been coming along as well. It's a bit of a challenge since the kids' projects can only be worked on when they're not around, but I managed to get the first of Sydney's dolls done:



Isn't she cute? Her hair is a combo of Rowan Kidsilk Haze and Artyarns Silk Mohair. Her body is Debbie Bliss Baby Cashmerino, and her dress is Classic Elite Waterlilies. This is a perfect stash-busting project since it takes about half a ball of each (much less than half for the hair). Today I'm going to try to finish the baby fairy. The patterns are from Claire Garland's book Dream Toys. Dublin Bay just got a big order of books in, and how delighted was I to find another book by Garland, this one filled with all sorts of fun crocheted toys. It's called Toys to Crochet (boring title for such a great book), and Tricia gave it to me as my Xmas present from the shop. Woot! I can't wait to make a little cow and calf, and a pig and piglet, and Sir Waldorf the Walrus (I'm making one of these for the shop, too!). Too fun!

I'm also crocheting gifts for Sydney's teacher and assistant, to be given with little bars of goat's milk soap (also from Dublin Bay - they're in the shape of little sheep!). Since Sydney goes to Catholic school, I thought these little angel dishcloths were appropriate:



I made them from this pattern and they only take a couple hours to make. So cute! I think I'm going to make soap savers as well since these only took up about a third of a ball of Ecoknit Cotton (you'll never guess where I got the cotton - I love my employee discount!).

After I finish all the Xmas stuff, it's back to my deadline knitting. The sweater that I have due at the end of the year is about half done, and it turns out I'll have an extra week. My extremely helpful friend Donna is going to help prod me into getting my TNNA stuff done. It doesn't help that I realized I don't actually need to have final copies of the patterns complete by TNNA - I just need to have a fair representation. I only seem to be able to perform when my back is up against a tight deadline. I am the world's worst procrastinator.

To top it all off, I'm sick yet again. I even had to cancel my sock class tonight because I don't want to be dripping and coughing all over my students. I felt bad for the folks at knit night last night - it was the kind of thing where I was okay in the morning and then progressively got worse throughout the day. I was up most of the night last night with a horrible scratchy throat and a kiddo who greeted me when I got home by almost barfing on his sleeping sister's head! Fortunately he didn't repeat his performance, but I was waiting all night for the pyrotechnics to begin again...

2 Comments:

Blogger Connie said...

Wow, sounds really busy and hectic over there! Lots of nice FOs pics you've got there. I got all excited when I saw all the photos loading. Wait, that sounds bad doesn't it? ;) You do beautiful work. I love Pam Allen's and Norah Gaughan's patterns.

Feel better soon!

11:12 AM  
Blogger Chris said...

I love the dishcloths. Must learn to crochet before next Xmas. The dolls and unicorn are super cute!

Hope all is grand at TNNA!

11:52 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home