Tuesday, February 06, 2007

Is it worth it?

What is the correct ratio of amount of yarn that is tangled to time that will be spent untangling it? Do I really need to spend an hour working on this snarl?



I don't really need the yarn. I have another hank and a failed sock that needs to be frogged. It's the principle of the thing, darn it! I can't just throw it away (it's Lorna's Laces, after all), and I hate to throw it into a bag to sit around for 10 years. It's not likely that I'll ever feel like untangling it. Do I just wait until my daughter's old enough to find untangling yarn a fun diversion? Hmm...that might work!

Sydney's great-aunt has a condo in Costa Rica where she's wintering now that she's retired (must be rough!), and she sent the most adorable little outfit for my wee gringa.



She is so funny in front of the camera these days. She's been out of school sick since last Friday, so she's suffering from a serious case of cabin fever and acting pretty goofy. Her brother, on the other hand, has no trouble entertaining himself. He dumped an almost-full container of sea salt all over our stovetop, and here's what happened when I left him alone with a bowl of applesauce for a few minutes:



The little monster!

Finally, I want to share with you this little piece of knitting voodoo, which just blows my mind (I wish I would've known about this last summer, when I had to duplicate stitch a mis-crossed cable with unsatisfactory results). Go check this s*** out (and a warning - Cara's blog is not necessarily family-friendly, language-wise, but this post is worth navigating a few f-bombs)!

5 Comments:

Blogger Sonya said...

I tangled up some lace weight one time when winding it. Perhaps the most frustrating experience of my life. In fact in turned me off knitting with lace weight completely.

3:27 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Funny, I just (2 minutes ago) suggested that very post to someone else in case she miscrosses a cable on a sweater she's working on :)

Your little Gringa is adorable (and your aunt is one lucky lady to be wintering in Costa Rica!).

I always wonder how little ones can stand to smear things like applesauce around - it's so slimy.

5:26 PM  
Blogger Zonda said...

Love the little Gringa outfit! Oh does Owen remind me of my DD! Tangled yarn is just too frustrating, but I don't blame you for trying to salvage it.

8:13 PM  
Blogger msubulldog said...

I remember the Yarn Harlot doing some cable surgery like that, but I don't remember passing the dpn under the cable part--cool! :)

11:23 PM  
Blogger Diane said...

Love the outfit. Really adorable. And the applesauce mess is cute. Believe it or not, you'll look back on that pic in 20 yrs and say "Gee I wonder what embarrasing story I can make up about this pic."

5:17 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home