Saturday, February 03, 2007

Get your Martha On!

This morning, my friend Chris hosted a little crafting get-together that we're hoping to get going on a monthly basis. In-between sips of Candy Cane Cocoa and huge snarfs of this amazing salsa ranch dip I happened to sit by, I did a little crocheting. Yes, crocheting! I pledged that I would not do any work knitting while at these little gatherings, and I pulled out this kit that I've had since Sydney was a baby:



As you can see, I got two ears, the snout and part of an arm done for the Piglet doll. I made the Eeyore doll right before Owen was born, but never got to the other three. I'm hoping maybe I can get Piglet done before the kids are off to college. Next month, I'm going to host a candlemaking party. Yay!

When I got home, I found the thing I hate most about being a knit designer waiting for me in the mailbox...



Yes, it's a rejection letter. I've submitted these particular designs three times, so I'm starting to see a trend here. One of them I really love, so I might end up self-publishing it. The other one is going to the swatch graveyard.

One great thing about becoming more established is that I've had editors start approaching me for projects. I love this! It's so much nicer to have someone e-mail you and say "hey, can you come up with a pair of lace socks for us?" rather than doing a bunch of sketching and swatching only to end up with everything rejected in the end. It's like, no matter how good your designs are (unless you're brilliant, like the Norah Gaughans and Kate Gilberts of the world, which I most certainly am not), the editors have a certain thing in mind when they're putting together the issue and have to sort those few things out of a massive pile of submissions. I feel very fortunate that I get as many things accepted as I do!

On the flip side of rejection, I had two designs come out recently - one in Creative Knitting, and my Interweave socks finally hit the web - they are a free web pattern (apparently they couldn't fit into the print mag due to the size of the charts). I had to laugh at how they were photographed - the model looks to have freakishly long legs, so the knee-highs didn't quite go up to her knees. Okay, I shouldn't call them freakish - how about longer than average? I would kill to have legs like hers, but most of us don't, so the socks are certainly knee-high on us average-sized folks. The photo also doesn't show the gorgeous cabled heel flap (this was my sample knitter Yvonne's idea). FYI, these socks could easily be made into regular-length socks by leaving off the leg increases and just starting out with 64 sts.

Now I am off to write the February issue of the Tigard Knitting Guild newsletter. What have I gotten myself into? I am waaaaay too good at biting off more than I can possibly chew. That doesn't stop me from trying! I'll leave you with some of my daughter's crazy artwork - there is some artist who draws things kind of like this, but I can't remember who it is. It makes me think of something out of a Tim Burton movie. Nice kitty!

7 Comments:

Blogger Connie said...

That's so cool that editors approach you now for designs :) And I'm sorry about the rejection letter. It does suck to have things you put out there turned down. Due to the creative nature of this type of work, I can't help but take such things a little personally, even though I know I shouldn't.

5:04 PM  
Blogger Connie said...

Oh, by the way, I love the cabled socks! I'll have to venture back into sock knitting to make them. :)
Really gorgeous and a bit different from the rash of sock patterns that are out there now.

5:07 PM  
Blogger LavenderSheep said...

The cable socks are gorgeous. I was surprised that they didn't show the backs of them either. The backs are just as gorgeous as the fronts. It is a really pretty pattern. I'm really happy that I got a sneak peak at them in the first place =)

5:38 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Love the socks! But dude, my calves are too big. :(

7:43 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That's so cool that you can sketch, swatch, and submit. My drawings look like your daughter's drawings so submissions are out of the question for me. Congratulations on your successes and you rejections!

5:28 AM  
Blogger YarnThing said...

At least getting some of the things accepted is better than non at all!

Hey if you get a chance take a look at my blog and tell me what you think of the Bag.

marly
www.knitthing.blogspot.com

8:40 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love the socks!!! They are great.

11:21 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home