Friday, October 27, 2006

Am I crazy?

I had yet another bump in the road towards becoming the next Nancy Bush today. First, I got my preview copies of Knitting for Babies, which I was supposed to have a pattern in. I flipped to the table of contents to see where it was. Hmm, not there. I look a couple more times, just in case I missed it. Nope! I page through the magazine to see if it might be in there. No dice. It got bumped, unbeknownst to me.

I then checked my e-mail, where Yvonne let me know that the Winter Interweave Knits preview was up but my socks (which she knit for me) were nowhere to be seen. Bumped twice in one day - ouch! I was way more bummed about this one, since I've so been looking forward to being in my favorite magazine. I sent Pam Allen an e-mail, just to see what was up, and she sent me a very nice note in return. Apparently, they needed to cut the exact same amount of space that my sock pattern took up. So it got cut. But they love the socks so much that they didn't want to offer them as a web pattern but wanted to save them for a later print version. She'd meant to warn me ahead of time but hadn't gotten to it. So, it will be in a later issue, and she said that it's extremely rare to print an issue that has everything in it that's supposed to be. This made me feel a lot better, but there were a couple hours in there where I was totally disgusted with the whole process and was thinking that anyone who puts up with this $&@#$* is totally nuts.

Add to that the fact that I've had exactly one sale from my new website, and the whole thing is a bit discouraging. I've got so much work that I can barely keep up with it (I just got word that I had three designs accepted for the Maternity Knits book, and I'm also doing a sock pattern for the spring issue of Cast-On), so I must be doing something right! I know that it will take a little while before my website gets going, but I expected a little bit more action than it's gotten! If any of you are web marketing geniuses and have any tips for me, please share!

Speaking of the website, I just released a new sock pattern today. They're called Lobster Pot Socks, and they were designed for Missyjoon as her Summer Sock Party socks. If you like crazy cabled socks, you should check them out. Here's a picture of the heel flap version:



And here's the one I made for Missy, which has a short-row heel (and is lobster red, to match the pattern name):



Here's a close-up of the toe so you can see the cables a bit better:



To get your own copy of the pattern, go here.

Tomorrow is our big annual Halloween party. Bill and I spent tonight cleaning the house like madpeople. The results are great - I was lamenting the fact that we don't have a housekeeper who can come in every week and make it look like this! My office, however, is a complete and total disaster since everything that didn't have a nice home somewhere else in the house got dumped in here. One of these days, I'm going to organize this room. Yeah, okay, Chrissy, just keep telling yourself that...

11 Comments:

Blogger Erica said...

Don't get too down on yourself. You've been doing an amazing job with your designing! I for one, am on my way to buy your new pattern. It's great!

4:55 AM  
Blogger lexa said...

Keep your head up! Things will turn around. I will be buying your new pattern next payday! I love cables, I love socks, so cabled socks are a must-have for me! I promise - Nov 7! (Got a few patterns to buy - may as well do one PayPal deposit!)

6:49 AM  
Blogger Jenn said...

That sucks. But it's nice to know that Interweave is saving your pattern - that must mean they really like it!
Oh, and I finished two pairs of socks this week- finally a letter for sockamonth2!

7:01 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Don't despair. Your time will come -- and soon, if my guess is correct.

And I'm jealous of the fact that you have a room you can put the junk in. When we moved down here, we ended up in a place that is a living room and a bedroom that not only has no door but also has a window cut out into the living room. If it doesn't fit into the closet, it's not hiding!

8:25 AM  
Blogger msubulldog said...

Twice in ONE DAY? Now, that's just not right. :(
Have an awesome Halloween party! What will you be dressing up as?

9:13 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ouch. Twice in one day. They could at least give you the courtesy of letting you know personally. Congrats on the Lobster Pot pattern. They make a nice sock.
Here is my final completed pair of socks for October:
http://knittingiris.typepad.com/knitting_iris/2006/10/pumpkin_socks.html

1:19 AM  
Blogger jillian said...

Don't get too down! In the big picture, it's all good. IK loves your sock!

9:03 AM  
Blogger Acornbud said...

It is encouraging that your pattern will still be in another issue! Good luck cleaning out your office. I emptied by craft room out thinking it was going to be a bedroom, hah, I think I'll put everything back!

9:22 AM  
Blogger wendy said...

Bummer...but keep at it!

9:41 AM  
Blogger Teri.p said...

the Lobster pot socks are marvelous! The red ones are pretty, but I love love love the green pair. Congratulations on another terrific pattern, Chrissy!

2:47 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

gorgeous new socks!
laura

10:33 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home