Wednesday, June 27, 2007

Oh, so many questions...

I've got some more questions for y'all, but first, I want to show you some knitting. Yes, knitting! I started on my Sockapalooza sock the other day, and it's coming along nicely.



This will be the first toe-up pattern I add to my line, and that's the new Gone Surfin' yarn. Love it! It's a little bit different than the other wool/tencel blends I've used - it's fluffier and not quite as shiny. I was lacking a new Us Weekly to peruse yesterday while I ate breakfast, so I picked up No Sheep For You and learned all about alternative fibers. There was quite an interesting section on all the different by-products that can be spun into yarn (like Tencel, for example). It was a great read!

Anyway, the pattern should be available in a couple months through Gardiner Yarn Works. Now I've got to figure out how to work that Sockapalooza Knit Pligg thing...

Okay, now onto the discussion. Thank you to all who commented on my last post about shopping at your LYS - it was very enlightening. I'm a little surprised at the number of people who have been treated badly at their LYS. The next issue of Yarn Market News is going to be addressing the reputation of yarn shop owners as not-so-nice people - it will be very interesting to see what the shop owners have to say about that. I am lucky to have a really great shop, Close Knit, nice and close (but not dangerously close) to my house. The owner is fabulous, as are the other shop owners I've run into around town.

I will definitely be keeping on-line sources for my patterns, regardless. It's just a question of whether I sell them from my own site, or route them through an on-line shop run by someone else (like The Sweet Sheep, The Yarn Grove, Sandra Singh or Knot Another Hat, to name my current sources). I still have quite a bit of yarn over on my shelf, so none of this will happen for quite awhile anyway.

Now, on to my next question - what kind of patterns would y'all like to see added to my line? More socks? Should I branch out and do some kid stuff? Felted bags? Sweaters? Lace shawls? Should I add some easier stuff, or do you guys like the more challenging patterns? What would make you go crazy?

And just so my poor mom doesn't feel left out, here's a picture my brother-in-law took of the boy in his building gear.



Sorry, Mom, I don't have a new picture of the girl - you'll see her in person in a couple of days anyway! We can't wait!

12 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I vote for knit whatever you want to knit. :-)

I'm a big fan myself of lace shawls and socks and stuff. The more complicated the better. Although I have spent an obsessive amount of time drooling over sweaters lately so do what you like to do.

11:12 AM  
Blogger Yarnhog said...

I'm a sweater girl myself. Especially shapely sweaters with interesting stitch patterns.

11:59 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love socks and lace shawls! Also, some simpler patterns are nice, along with the more complicated ones. Sometimes it's nice just to relax and knit something relatively mindless!

12:00 PM  
Blogger jillian said...

That's a gorgeous pattern - I look forward to it! Catchin gup on your last post - I'm glad you'll keep selling patterns online too. Apart from bad LYS owners (I have definitely had them and boycott their shops in favor of nice owners), I love being able to download patterns! My favorite. Instant gratification and all that. As to patterns, I'm no help. I love all types of projects. I say do what makesyou happy :)

2:05 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh good, I'm not the only one who hasn't had a chance to figure out the pligg yet. Then again, I haven't quite figured out the SAM3 site and my name has a lonely "F" next to it....I should see if I could figure them both out this weekend once my SP10 group is wrapped up.
Nice sock! I just LOVE toe-up!

3:10 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That sock is looking beautiful!

4:43 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh, I've been to Close Knit and they are VERY nice. I'm lucky to have a great shop near me (10 minutes) with a wonderful owner who is truely excited about the craft.

Your socks are beautiful. Can't wait til the pattern comes out!

7:45 AM  
Blogger Carol said...

Hmm, I think some patterns that are not heavy sweaters would be nice. Tops, though. As for the difficulty level, well, whatever mmakes it look good. and personally, I tend to pick things up that have interesting construction. The latest examples are the Coachella from Knitty that I am currently working on and the PerpenSOCKular pattern from Nonaknits made the queue too.

8:16 AM  
Blogger Carol said...

I say anything you want to knit too...my favorite for something quick is socks....

7:49 PM  
Blogger lexa said...

I find it surprising, too, the number of people who have had bad experiences in yarn shops.

I'd like to see more socks patterns of course! Plus kids patterns would be nice.

6:02 AM  
Blogger Firecracker's Mommy said...

I just found your site and love the toe up socks you showcased in the pic. As for not-so-nice shop owners, (here is my venting for the day) we have only two LYS in my town and both are full to the brim of employees and owners who couldn't care less how they treat their customers. Not to mention they are not at all helpful with questions be it over yarn or techniques. I have a sneaky suspicion that they couldn't answer my questions if they wanted to but are just too embarassed to say they don't know. One of the LYS, its the very opposite, they know too much and look down on people who don't know as much as they do. It seems so unlike other knitters that I have met. My knit night ladies and I have resorted to driving two hours to go to a store that is wonderful and the owners and employees alike are great and loving!
As for patterns, I love lace and socks or both together!

2:45 PM  
Blogger The Knith Degree said...

Hi, new to your site. My daughter "Devonshire" (knitandrip.blogspot.com)sent me your blog link and I was drawn to the fact you are a mom and from Oregon and a mama milk advocate. Like me too! Except for one glaring difference. Oh lord, here it comes: I don't knit.(crochet, yes) There, it's out. I do however try and support my beautiful Bostonian daughter in her addiction to knitting. Re: your comment on LYS. I like to poke around in yarn shops for my daughter to surprise her with lovely yarns. My last three different quests into 3 different yarn shops (Multnomah Village/Cannon Beach/Newport area) had exactly the same customer service i.e. NONE. In fact, it would border on out and out rudeness. No greeting. No smile. No help. No acknowledgement whatsoever. If I was a small business shop owner (and I have been in the past) I would work a whole lot harder on customer service skills and pleasing people. There is too much competition in this world to put up with crappy service (or the lack thereof). So that's MY gripe for the day! BTW, I have a similar picture of the Yarn Harlot and me @ Powell's on my blog! (I went to get my daughter's book signed) Now, if I could just find a place to take knitting classes.....

8:13 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home