Thursday, November 06, 2008

Let's try for some coherence this morning...

So, yesterday was all about tears of joy and grinning like an idiot at any stupid little thing (I even cried during Bush's morning speech, which has never happened before - well, I've never cried tears of joy, anyway). And nagging adominal discomfort...but we won't go there. I suspect Owen picked this bug up when I took him to the doctor for his flu shot on Thursday morning and I am not pleased about it. Anyway, I realize yesterday's post was all over the place and didn't really express what I was feeling very well. Please forgive me - I haven't eaten in a week!

This clip from my favorite political show pretty much sums it up better than I ever could:



We're back, baby! America is back in business, showing herself to be a global force to be reckoned with instead of a bully to be scorned. I'm sorry to be so off the rails these days, but I am just so proud of all of us - each and every one, including the McCain supporters (apart from the ones who are blatantly racist and still insist that Obama is a Muslim terrorist...they can kiss my grits) - who turned out to vote in record numbers and showed that we haven't lost our idealism and fresh-faced optimism. And that white people will vote for a black candidate, even though we still have plenty of race issues to work through as a nation. And that smear campaigns and the politics of fear don't fool us anymore.

I know that we have a lot to work through over the next four years, and I'm sure Obama is going to screw up just like every president does. However, I am just so delighted that we've resoundingly decided to look to the future rather than clinging to what's familiar and seems safe but hasn't been working. I am so proud of us!

And now I have a little something for my mom, who has been waiting oh so patiently to see the kids' Halloween pictures. Here they are - my little dragon and mermaid!



Note that the dragon (who everyone thought was a frog until he turned around and showed them his wings) already has a chocolate-covered face... Our neighbor brought over goodie bags for the kids before we went out trick-or-treating and of course they immediately tore into them.

Sydney's school does a Halloween Parade every year, so we all went to see all the kiddos in their costumes. Here's our girl, looking frighteningly grown up!



And this has nothing to do with Halloween, but it does have to do with Bill's mad construction skillz. Check out the kids' new play structure which was designed on-the-fly and built by their dad!



Here it is being put to good use...



Now, keep your fingers crossed for us that we kick this stupid bug! I am so very ready to feel normal again!

4 Comments:

Blogger Yarnhog said...

I can't remember people ever literally dancing in the streets after a presidential election before. And the fact that it's happening all over the world is just astounding. I feel like dancing myself, but in my overly-conservative neighborhood, I'm afraid someone would run me down.

10:03 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I can't stop smiling either -- and isn't that a wonderful thing? And I feel calm and optimistic about our future now, exactly the opposite of how I've felt for several years. I'm proud of us too!!

P.S. Cute Halloween costumes!

8:58 PM  
Blogger Ally Jay said...

The kids look super cute in their costumes. Well done America.

10:37 PM  
Blogger Angela said...

Today is the first day in over a week I haven't cried. (I was crying with anxiety before the election and up until PA was called, then it's been joy ever since.) Whew.

6:59 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home