Wednesday, August 01, 2007

Fun with swatches

Wondering what to do with that swatch you made at the beginning of a project (you DID make a swatch, right)? Take a tip from Sydney...



...turn it into jewelry (or a funky bib)! They also make nice spinning toys (as in, use one of the ends to spin it over your head or, better yet, into your brother's face). Sydney loves swatches. She's going to be a great knitter.

The Sockapalooza 4 socks are done, so here's the official posting:



It's my Wavelet pattern (release date TBD) in the Zen Yarn Garden Gone Surfin' wool/tencel blend. Nice! I'm quite happy with them and hope my pal will be as well. They're going to have to go on vacation with me so I can send them on the correct date. Now to go add myself to the list of sock finishers...

In other news, I'm busily prepping for our big road trip to Minnesota. I've managed to get several shop owners to meet with me while on the trip, so I'm trying to get sample patterns and catalogs printed up (plus a few extras for any other shops we manage to find along the way). I've also got some great design work that has been suddenly plopped in my lap. It's a real challenge when the deadlines are in early September, but I'm going to be gone for two weeks and unable to get yarn in the mail. Oh, the problems I face - I tell ya!

But wait - I have even more knitting to show off. First, the socks for my toe-up class at Twisted (this will also be a GYW pattern to be released very soon):



The big sock is knit in the Dream In Color Smooshy I was talking about in my last post. It is SO nice (and you can get it at Twisted if you're lucky enough to live in the area).

Here's my Sea Silk shawl, modeled by my new dress form:



This is a single-skein project and also looks great in sock yarn (my blogless friend Donna made one out of some random stash yarn she had, and it turned out really fabulous). This is also a pattern to be released any day now.

I made one more stop at Lint on Sunday to see if they had any other bargains to pick up in their going-out-of-business sale. There was still quite a bit of yarn left, all 40% off now, but it was so sad being in there that I couldn't get excited about buying anything. I wandered around for five minutes and then left. Sigh. It reinforced, yet again, my decision to unload the rest of the yarn in my shop and get on with this wholesale-only thing for my patterns. I was pretty surprised that nobody bought Lint, but when I was in there, I realized that I really don't want to run a retail business. I want to design. And the little dabbling I've done in online sales has been fun, and I love to support my indie yarn dyeing friends, but it's time for me to just get down to the business of building my pattern line.

Speaking of the pattern line, I just added a new feature to the web store. You can now view a pdf of the front page of each pattern by clicking on a link on the pattern page. This will give you everything you need to know about yarn, gauge, materials, sizes, etc. I hope this is helpful! New shoppers will also get a taste of the pattern format.

And now the pizza's here - I may or may not get a chance to post again before we hit the road, but I'll be sure to try to post from the front lines of our summer vacation as we speed through Montana and the Dakotas on our way to the homeland (aka northern Minnesota). Yippee!

2 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

We're leaving for Portland tomorrow. Got a long list of LYSes to check out, including Twisted. Can't wait to see Smooshy in person!

7:49 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love them I love them I love them!!!

Thank you!!

And not everyone gets to get socks from a published interweave sock pattern writer =)

Wooo!

6:04 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home