Tuesday, May 15, 2007

What did you do yesterday?

I spent the day cleaning up. Owen has decided he wants to use the potty. He'll sit on it and squeeze out a couple drops, and he's so proud of himself (we all clap and cheer him on). However, when it comes to the big amounts, he prefers the floor. He's also decided that food is to play with as much as it is to eat (here's proof):



Yesterday, I made him a pb&j. He ate about three bites, then decided to squeeze the jam out onto the kitchen table and drive his bus through it. He covered himself and most of the kitchen in jam before I managed to get it away from him. So, I put him in the tub. He was content in there, playing with his tub toys, so I decided to take the opportunity to heat up some lunch. He was out of sight range, but I could hear him happily yelling and splashing in there so I would've known if he'd started drowning (the kitchen is right across the hall from the bathroom). I was gone for about five minutes, and when I went back in, I discovered that he'd grabbed two new rolls of toilet paper out of the basket on top of the toilet and put them in the tub.

Yup. Picture an entire bathtub full of papier mache, with your kid in the middle of it.

Toilet paper dissolves like crazy when it hits the water. I suppose this is a good thing in the sewer pipes, but not so good when you have to clean it out of your tub. I spent the next 15 minutes pulling soggy clumps of paper out of the tub drain so the water would keep going down, until I couldn't take it any more. It took most of the rest of the afternoon and evening, but eventually the water all drained out and I could scoop the remaining sludge out of the empty tub. So gross.

Owen's at the stage right now where he's either making a mess, destroying something, tormenting his sister, or following me around the house crying because I'm not letting him do one or all of the above. It's enough to drive me to drink. This morning we went to the zoo and had a delightful time because I let him go wherever he wanted, do whatever he wanted (as long as he wasn't a harm to himself, zoo property/animals, or others) and his sister wasn't around. He's great as long as he gets exactly what he wants when he wants it. If not - watch out! I'm about ready to sell him on Ebay.

I got a lovely package from my Secret Pal (SP10) which helped make up for it. She sent me this on May 11 for my 3/4 birthday. Isn't that the best idea?



This is the most yummy-smelling soap from The Alchemic Dragon. I have the best SP!

Even amidst all this chaos, I've found time to do a little bit of knitting. I finished my first Knee High to a Grasshopper sock (the short version), and I'm well into the foot on the other.



Here's the close-up:



I love this yarn! And you'd think I'd be sick of the pattern by now - this is the fourth pair I've knit from it, but there's something about (p2tog, yo) that is nice and rhythmic and relaxing. Plus it flies like the wind once you get past the stockinette of the foot.

I also got a huge pile of swatches out the door yesterday. I meant to take a picture, but I was too focused on getting them in the mail before I missed the mailman. Here's a little taste of what I do all day (and can't blog about):



That's Socks That Rock, can't find the ballband to tell you the colorway, but it is GORGEOUS. Any guesses as to what the swatch is for? A sock, perhaps?

Now it's time to try to get the Boy to bed. I like it so much better when this happens:



There's nothing better than sitting on the couch, knitting away, and feeling a little head slump onto your shoulder. It's so much more pleasant than the screaming and carrying on that accompanies our normal bedtimes. I can't wait for the terrible twos to be over. I keep reminding myself that this, too, will pass...

12 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

i have a 2.5yr old that drives me to drink daily. maybe we can sell them as a pair on ebay and split the profits, hit a yarn store, then a bar. the toilet paper story made me cringe at the thought of it, i am putting all my tp away. right this second!

4:59 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

So glad you like your soaps. BTW they are good for in the bath tub minus the TP. Plus the fact they are for the Frazzled Mom bath time, hopefully they will help you feel a bit less frazzled.
Oh, and ladies I have teenage boys, 19,18, & 15 - I hate to break it too you they will still drive to drink, but for different reasons, although some will still be related to the state of the bathroom when they are finished using it. Sorry....

Your SP

5:09 AM  
Blogger Sonya said...

What a kid! ;o) If you put him on ebay, I'd use that last picture and not the first one. And I might leave out the bathtub story. Someday these will be the stories that your family laughs about.

5:44 AM  
Blogger HDW said...

Hey can I join the ebay selling team...."Triplet boys for sale.....I have a 6 year old daughter, an 2 yr old (will be 3 in august) and a 10 month old......OY VAY is all I can say.....I think the wee one is teething so he is crabby, and the mddle beast has been in a funk for 2 days now....I just posted about them this AM and then I came across your ost and went huh! At least it isn't just me!!!!

7:38 AM  
Blogger YarnThing said...

I have had one of those days before! Only, the worst part for me was when my 3 and 4 year old decided they would dump and ENTIRE BOX of TIDE for SAM'S CLUB (holy fricken huge) all over their toy room. Then, spread it around on every single toy/stuffed animal/play dishes/play kitchen/wall in the room!

Holy Mess Batman!

So, I know how you feel :-)

Marly

8:24 AM  
Blogger Yarnhog said...

There's nothing like a day of wilding to wear out a boy. I always wonder how they can look so sweet and innocent when they're sleeping, when we all know what demons they are when they're awake. I think it's a survival device. They hit you with the cute right when you're ready to, well, sell them on ebay.

8:34 AM  
Blogger HDW said...

Tag your it! I apologize profusely!!! But to soften the blow there are blushingly sappy comments about you and your blog!!! The deets are on the blog!!! I am sorry I am sorry I am sorry!!!!!

3:54 PM  
Blogger Ann-Marie MacKay said...

wow, our sons' must be on the same brain wave.
does your son like to jump over couches and throw himself down the stairs too??
we are on a first name basis with the Nurses in the ER.
I don't drink, but there are some days....
On a rough day I always like to say that the next person who comes to the house can have him.

6:06 PM  
Blogger lexa said...

That's how my four-year-old goes to sleep a lot of the time -- against my arm or head on my lap as I'm knitting.

I know about the toilet paper/tub thing, but not to that extent! Our toilet roll is beside the tub (small bathroom), and little fingers several times have pulled in a bunch of tp -- not nice to clean up, that's for sure!

One time when the oldest was about three he went in to pee by himself. For some reason he decided he needed toilet paper and proceeded to put the whole role in the toilet! (He pulled it off the roll first.) All of a sudden I heard him screaming and crying, "There's a drip! There's a drip!" He tried to flush the toilet numerous times, resulting in a major overflow! That was one of the worst messes I had to clean up, that's for sure. There was so much water I had to get my steam cleaner to suck it up...

6:29 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Please don't ever leave a two year old unattended in a bathtub. You may not hear him "starting to drown." He could also stand up and slip. I know how much you need a break, but it just isn't worth the risk.

7:19 AM  
Blogger Diane said...

I love that age. Just when you think they can't do anything more naughty the find some new thing they shouldn't be doing. Always so busy.

Make sure you jot these down in his baby book. It'll give you something to laugh about when he's 19 and needs to do a personal history in college like my second daughter. lol

5:57 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I completely understand about Owen. I think that there is something going around right now because my once angelic boy is now driving me crazy. I"m sure it is not as bad as most but it's more than this little single mom can take most of the time. We will make it through though right?!?!?!?!

9:04 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home